experience of THD with anolift

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive been reading this forum for some time and put off having treatment after reading some peoples experiences but thought i'd share my experience because its' actually been ok.

I was diagnosed with stage 2/3 haemorrhoids about a year ago. I have had them for years as a result of 2 pregnancies but for the past year had been suffering, particularly when gardening or on my feet all day, with pain, and itching, each BM was an ordeal to push back the prolapse.

I have private healthcare so was referred to a consultant. He suggested banding first, omg this was awful. The sensation afterwards is akin to being 10cm dilated and fighting the overwhelming urge to push a baby out. It didn't work so I tried again, and found the bands in the toilet the next morning. The second time suffering the same sensation but slightly less.

I spent the next 6 months in turmoil, trying to decide whether I wanted to take a more drastic route, I went back and decided to try THD. whilst its supposed to be minimally invasive I had read some horror stories on here and I was terrified of that sensation I had experienced with the banding.

I put on my brave big girl pants and went ahead with THD a week ago today. The procedure took around 2 hours including time in the recovery room. I woke up feeling quite uncomfortable but was given some kind of opiate through the canula. After a couple of hours, having eaten, drunk and been able to wee I was allowed home with co codamol, senna laxatives, lactulose stool softeners and antibiotics..

The first night was fine as the local anaesthetic was still working, day 2 felt more uncomfortable with a dull pain. The first BM was actually ok as i had taken the laxatives and stool softeners. The worst part is the feeling before the BM, the tummy ache and feeling of needing to go straight away. Ive cleaned up in the shower and taken 3-5 baths with salt water each day which relieved the uncomfortable feeling. By day 4 I stopped the co codamol and switched the paracetamol. I found it most comfortable laying on my side in bed or standing. At exactly one week, I've felt like I don't need to take any pain meds. I cant sit for long periods, so tend to stand or lay down. The BMs are easy but the feeling before not pleasant. And the best bit, I didn't suffer the sensation I was worried about when having the banding. The side effects of the laxatives are probably worse.

It still is early days and I don't know if it's entirely successful, Ive had a little look and can't see anything prolapsing. which is encouraging. If this works it will really improve the quality of my life.

So if like me you read this and have been terrified of the procedure, it might not be that bad. The pain has been manageable.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Hiya!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It is so helpful given I can't find many testimonials about THD Or Halo-RAR.

I myself am 7 days post surgery for grade 4 circumferential prolapse. I had the Halo-RAR with 4 litigations and rectal repairs. I am still very uncomfortable and can't do much more than lie on my side too. My bowel movements are very uncomfortable, especially as it still feels like I have large lumps that feel just like piles inside of me. It is making it very difficult to go to toilet even though my stools are soft and the burning and stinging afterwards is real for a good hour or so afterwards! The pressure in my rectum is constant at the moment and its very hard to know when I actually need the toilet. BUT...if this surgery works, it will be transformative! So far, not one prolapsed pile after bowel movements. I have suffered for 15 years and so I am keeping fingers crossed this absence of prolapse, stays this way. I am not going to lie. This surgery has been painful BUT manageable with ibruprofen and paracetamol. I have not needed any stronger pain relief, but I could not endure this half as well without my heat packs, sitz baths and bolster pillows to help me feel more comfortable. It isn't fun, but its not as bad as I had first imagined reading terrible reports on here of people dying in pain. I'm surviving anyway and in 3 months time, I hope I will be saying this is the best thing I ever did for myself despite the pain and discomfort. Life before was becoming so miserable at times battling these things. I too will leave a review in a few weeks when i know more about my recovery. It is still too early yet, but I am positive!

How are you doing now?

• Posted

Hiya robo3210 😃

I am now 3 weeks and 3 days post surgery. I've had up days and down days during that time. Recovery has been slow going and anyone who tells you Halo-RAR is a week long experience before you're back to health and normal activities, is telling you down right lie. BUT that said, albeit slow, I am seeing progress every day! 😃

Thankfully, the pain started easing between bowel movements at two weeks and then after every bowel movement only 2 days ago - at the 3 week mark. I am still taking laxatives because my piles are still shrinking, so keeping everything soft to aid comfort. This has had the downside of a little leakage - sorry if that is TMI. I did have a large prolapse though, so I am expecting recovery to take the longest time. The lumps I could feel which were clearly the haemorrhoids stitched into place, are still there but much less obvious, which is great news! Going in the right direction. And even better - still no prolapse! Happy Days 😃 The next hurdle for me is to try to conquer the urgency in which I need to use the bathroom. I didn't have that before surgery and I am hoping it goes when I slowly lessen the laxative dose.

I am beginning to sit up now for short periods of time. I am taking it it real easy. Lots of rest and healthy diet of lean meats, veg, fruit and fish. Drinking 3 litres of water a day. Taking very short walks. Feeling so much better for doing all this too!

So all in all, I am doing well given its still early days. I can't work yet, so will have taken a whole month off soon and I think it will take me the full six weeks my surgeon said it could take, before I am back to a resemblance of normality. I can see a light now though at the end of the tunnel and if this surgery works, it will have changed my life for the better. It already has tbh now the pain is subsiding! Hasn't been an easy 3 weeks, but it has been doable! I have worried about myself a few at times, but that is natural and the patience is paying off, as I am healing and today is the first day I can say with confidence that I really am 😃 I am back with my surgeon in two weeks, so I keen to learn how well I am healing.

How are you doing? I do hope you are OK.

• Posted

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm considering this surgery for similar stage 2/3 haemorrhoids developed during my second pregnancy. Had banding recently with little improvement. I hope you are recovering well and have good results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.