Experience of tinnitus clinic (UK)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

A update on my husbands journey.  MRI was normal and we have seen a different GP.  She has referred us to a tinnitus clinic at our local hospital, where there is an 8 week waiting list.  However, she did ask about a private referral.  On reflection we have decided to request the private referral. We cannot carry on the way we are!!

However, I have just looked at the tinnitus clinic at the local private clinic and it is very much geared to treatement for tinnitus. 

Do you think they will they consider his balance/vertigo episodes, which is the main issue for my husband, the tinnitus he can live with.

Treatements they offer

Acoustic CR® Neuromodulation

Environmental sound enrichment

Tinnitus desensitisation therapy (TDT)

Relaxation training

Has anyone got any experience of the tinnitus clinic pathway?  Has anyone had any of these treatements - do they work?

Thank you so much for all your help and support.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Not sure if this will help but I have Menieres with Tinnitus. To me they are separate in so far as medical help. Tinnitus is, at present, not treatable Menieres is and can be helped in many different ways. Best to see Menieres Consultant. Private treatment for Tinnitus waste of money, This is if course simply my opinion from years if experience.Good luck 

• Posted

Thank you Rita.  I did research Consultants who I thought were appropriate due to their interests but she insisted in a tinnitus clinic and we thought at least we are seeing someone who may have a clue on diagnosing my husband.  I'm thinking if we pay for first appt in the hope they see that tinnitus although annoying is not the main problem - they refer him somewhere else??? We just cant wait 8 weeks.... we run our own business....  Thanks again. Karen

• Posted

Hi Kilikaz,

I have had all the symptoms you refer to for your husband and I have empathy. Mine lasted for 6 months and I saw an audiologist, ENT on 16 occassions, did MRI, cortisone injections into the ear etc. This was all a waste of money, except for the MRI which thankfully was all fine. 

Mine just dissapeared and I am left with 20% hearing in my right ear and tinnitus. My neurologist was a blessing, he taught me how to mask the noise and also fool my brain. Whilst I still have it (and it was high pitched) it is not bothersome to me anymore. If you become anxious about it, it will affect you far worse and thankfully I had meds to teach me to calm down (trick my brain) - have been off the meds for 2 month now.

All the best

• Posted

Thanks Clifford

Yes, completely agree that anxiousness makes things a whole lot worse.  You mentioned Neurologist - I haven't investigated that route, was it a particular type of Neurologist? 

Desperate to find some ideas on how to maks the noise and fool the brain!! 

You give me hope that this can get easier - thank you.

• Posted

If possible get a referral to an Aural Physiologist who can pull it all together. Unfortunately there are only 6 or so who see adults, one in Portsmouth, Chichester area and the rest in London!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.