Experience taking Xanax good or bad.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone took the generic version of Xanax? I took for the first time last night half a .25 mg pill. per Doctors orders for anxiety and insomnia.It hit me like in 15 minutes i didnt like the way i felt. i went to bed but couldnt go to sleep. i might of nodded off but was up two hours later and didn't feel that original rush so i was happy about that but i did feel more relaxed. It took a while for me to go back to sleep and i still keep getting up throughout the night. What experiences has anyone had with this medicine. was it too much for me but enough. TIA

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Edited

Do not take them. they are not good. They cause neurological problems and can lead to neurological disease in future plus a whole mess of physical symptoms. Look up research on all these sedatives including benadryl. Go natural "GABA" works just as well.

• Edited

For the past 5 weeks or so I had really bad insomnia most likely due to anxiety. I first tried melatonin and valerian which didn't work that well, so I asked the doctor for something stronger and was prescribed Oxazepam.

I took it for about 8-9 days and it was useful in getting me to fall asleep, but not so great at keeping me asleep.

Then I did my research and realised it was a benzo so I stopped using it immediately as I didn't want the withdrawal symptoms. Oxazepam is apparent one of the weaker benzos but I still didn't want to take that risk of addiction,

• Posted

mkqq if you don't mind me asking what are you using to help you sleep.I also didn't realize that Xanax was a benzo so that is why i took it. I have only taken 2 doses but even that it takes a while for it to kick in and my problem is also that i don't stay asleep. I'm up and have a hard time getting back to sleep. i

• Edited

Just melatonin and valeriaan.

0.8mg valeriaan 1 hr before bed time, and 250mg valerian 1hr before bedtime.

If I wake up in the middle of the night I might take another very small dose of melatonin, around 0.4mg, but this is apparently not good before it disrupts your circadian rythm.

Overall I'm not sleeping great, waking up every 1-2 hours. But I would much rather have this than being dependent on a Benzo. The Oxazepam only managed to keep me asleep for about 2-3 hours to be honest, so it wasn't that much better.

• Posted

Yes i really haven't noticed a difference taking the xanax. I still have trouble falling asleep and don't stay asleep. wake up every hour or 3 so not much help there. I did try 6 mg melatonin by itself a little while back but that didnt help much. I will need to try the valerian. My insomnia started about 5 weeks ago also. It stated from another health issue but i think it has also escalated with all this Covid 19 and anxiety doesn't help either. I hate feeling like this. I've never had issues with falling and staying asleep before now. Helps to talk to someone going through this also.

• Posted

This is exactly what's been happening with me!

I had a fever 6 weeks ago which lasted 2 days, that was around the exact time the Coronavirus pandemic took over the world.

The first sleepless night came 3-4 days after that, and it only went downhill from there. Now I'm still fighting the infection (whatever it is), and suffering from fatigue and lack of sleep.

I've been absolutely consumed by this and it is terrible. Constant stress and worry.

• Posted

Mine started with an ear issue, not an infection. But since it is not considered an emergency. Dr won't see me in office . i can't get any testing done since almost everything is shut down only televisits. i agree everything is going down hill. I don't even get hungry. i have to force myself to eat and drink. This has caused me to have constant headaches and stomach aches, diarrhea, and constipation. My anxiety and stress has taken over me. I am also always fatigued. I can't wait for this pandemic to go away. I wish you and all off us dealing with insomnia, anxiety and stress to feel better soon . so we are able to sleep and rest as needed. And i really hope your infection or illness goes away soon!!

• Edited

I have taken generic Xanax (Alprazolam) for 44 weeks because of Anxiety. The first few weeks, I took 0.5 mg before bed time to sleep. Then my body needed more, so my doctor gave me generic of Ambien to sleep. I took 5 mg before bed time. In 30 mins., I woke up after 3 hours and was able to go back to sleep. I took that for 8 month. But, one night per week, I had to sleep without Ambien.,Otherwise, my body will need more dose.

Now, my anxiety is better. I don't need sleeping pill any more. I went dow 1 pill Xanax from 3 per day.

• Edited

i take xanex for anxiety and i think it works great. At least if not better than kalonopin. xanex does have some side affects once you try to get off of it. if you dont like the way it makes you feel maybe try adavan. i dont think its a really good sleep aid. i dont sleep through the night either with it, but if you are having a panic attack, theres nothing out there i would rather take. but thats just me.

• Edited

I've taken it twice. Back in 2011 when I first got married, I moved about 90 miles away from home and being in a new area with a not-quite-supportive (or available) husband, I suffered separation anxiety. My primary care doctor put me on Lexapro 20 mg and the generic version of Xanax. I hated Lexapro. It made me feel like a zombie during the day and I couldn't sleep at night. I also couldn't keep any food down, it made my stomach so upset I was always vomiting. I lost about 10 lbs in a couple of weeks (and I'm very slender to begin with). The doctor had me halve it, but I still had those awful side effects so I stopped taking it. I continued to take Xanax whenever I had any overwhelming anxiety - I think it was the same dosage you mentioned. I never had any problems with it back then.

About two years later after going through months of great stress (mostly due to divorce and then a stressful job situation), I began losing my hair. I lost nearly half of it within about a month and it kicked up my anxiety something terrible. My doctor prescribed the same dose of Xanax to get me through the rough patches. I don't think I ever took it at night, I usually took it during the day...usually morning or afternoon. After seeing a dermatologist my hair started growing back within another month or so and with that situation resolving itself, my anxiety disappeared - so, luckily I didn't have to be on the Xanax very long. I mostly took it on an as-needed basis. If I felt my anxiety kicking up a notch I'd take it and feel more relaxed.

The one thing that concerned me about it was the idea that you had to wean yourself off it slowly or it would be like a bad withdrawal. I think if you're not on it too long and not taking too high a dosage, you shouldn't have to worry too much about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.