Experience with any benzodiazepines?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I know this type of drug is looked down upon but heard it's a life saver to some. From taking the dosage responsibly or taking it while the antI depressant balances out. From all the research I've did. It always leads to a benzodiazepines. From can't gather thoughts, headaches, unable to relax, insomnia, etc. I don't drink nor smoke and we'll once I'm better continue to go to the gym and eat balanced meals. I need that extra help to gather my thoughts and cope or even to relax and SLEEP. To enjoy once again. Please. Any thoughts or experience with benzodiazepines or even antidepressants. Fluoxetine isn't working for me and I think it's best to switch to something else.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

On an as needed basis this is a miracle pill. If used too much or on a daily basis long term..you will run into an extremely difficult and addicting scenario.
  • Posted

Yes, I used Lorazepam for a year or so. I stopped when the dose needed for sleep (the reason I was taking them at the time) when the dose needed climbed for the third time. I weaned myself off slowly over about 3 1/2 months. Not too bad. This drug is usually prescribed for short term. I still take .5 but only when really needed, it does the trick.

My sister went through such anxiety and depression after a really bad divorce that she was hospitalized for a week. With help from a counselor, some of my own suggestions, family support and Lorazepam when needed, she is doing very well now. She told me that on the occasional days she hits a bump it always helps. I agree with that. I recommend it highly used wisely and knowing that if you do it daily for over a few weeks, weaning is necessary, as with ANY Benzo. I would do it again if I had to, but my Clonidine is doing well for me. Another one I will have to wean off of slowly, but to me it's worth that. I would recommend Clonidine over Lorazepam for one reason only, Clonidine keeps me alert and awake all day, and Lorazepam relaxes not just the mind, but the body. I tend to "float" more on it. Some days that is really good.wink

• Posted

Have been given valium (diazepam), bromazepam and finally lorazepam to help diffuse heavy anxiety symptoms when my GAD first started. I found bromazepam the kindest of the three as with the others i'd get a heavy feeling while bromazepam left me fully functional yet calm and happy. Then i was put on antidepressants and switched from bromazepam to xanax (alprazolam) for 2 months until i adjusted to the antidepressant. As a first line of defence and an occasional aid benzos are awesome. Xanax was great but did not work immediately, rather once it built up in my system over a week or so. I found tapering off them not too daunting though i remember feeling edgy especially when cutting a crucial dose like the morning one. I had no resurfacing of sleep problems after being weaned of alprazolam in the end and by this time i was well into my therapy with antidepressants (venlafaxine - effexor).

• Posted

As for sleep, diazepam used to put me to sleep at 5mg. Lorazepam did not help in that regard. Response to each is very individual.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.