Experience with Copper IUD

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey, so I posted a thread about this a little while ago but have had no responses so I thought I'd post a more summarised thread that people might be bothered to read in the hopes of getting some advice neutral

Here's the fuller thread if anyone is interested in the details: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/swapping-hormonal-ius-for-non-hormonal-iud--634699

Basically I'm on the Hormonal IUS Jaydess which is like Mirena but smaller and only lasts 3  years. I chose it because apparently they are less painful for women who haven't had children. I'm due to get it replaced or removed in a year but as I'm turning 25 this year I'm due my first pap smear and was considering asking if during my appointment they could switch my IUS for a copper IUD.

I'm sick of hormones, however few of them there is, I seem to be suffering some sort of side effects. I just wanted to hear people's experience with the copper coil as I want to ensure that the side effects outweigh the hormonal effects. I hear it makes you bleed heavier and more painful but does it make your periods longer? I had an implant before and bled almost everyday, meaning I didn't want to have sex so it was a bit pointless having that in, the same goes for this. If I'm just a cramping bleeding mess everyday of the month I might just have to stick out feeling like crap because of hormones.

Just by the by, I've tried everything else so please don't suggest other contraceptives to me. I'm really only interested in this.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have not had copper coil. But i did hear they do make your periods longer
    • Posted

Thanks.. but this is why I wanted comments from people who have had it because I want to know from experience, not just from what people have heard because people hear a lot of things about contraception that's not always true- that's not really useful to me, sorry.

• Posted

Hi, not sure if youre still thinking about copper coil but I had mine fitted a week and a half ago on a Tuesday, very painful during and painful afterwards for the rest of the evening and cramps regularly for the rest of the week. Since then I’ve pretty much been okay, light spotting and the odd cramp but manageable. I hear that the coil can make your periods heavier and slightly longer by a few days but apparently with time it gets better. I wanted a hormone free option and for the first few days regretted it because of the cramps but already I feel much more positive smile hope this helps 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.