Experience with increasing current fluoxetine dosage

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone.  I was so glad to find a forum where there was so much support and information! I'm 45 and I have been on fluoxetine 10 mg/day (taken at night) for 7 years for PMS.  For the last several months, I have had issues with anxiety (which I've never really had before now) and so my GP suggested I increase the dosage to 20mg/day. So at day 17, I still woke up with a lot of anxiety (maybe more than before I increased the dosage) so I decided instead of taking (2) 10mg at night, I am taking (1/10 mg) in the morning and (1/10mg at night.)  It's day 19 and I am still experiencing the same anxiety, a little insomnia, and am sometimes a little shaky.  I don't remember feeling any of this when I started taking flu 7 years ago, just some light-headedness mainly.  Has anyone has a similar experience, is this normal?  I am seeing my Dr this week to discuss.  I've been wondering if I am perimenopausal, but my blood work came back "normal." Thanks for your feedback!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Heather. I too have taken fluoxetine many years ago and don't remember the side effects that I experience now however I do remember at my first month check with the doctor telling him that for the first 3 weeks I hadn't felt any better if anything I had felt worse. However week 4 had been great and I had felt "normal" again. I am on day 17 today  of 20mg and have got steadily better and the side effects have lessened each week. They were awful on day 4,5,6 and I felt dreadful. I am hopeful that I will have the same experience that I had before and will feel better after the 3rd week. I seem to feel worse first thing in a morning, shakey, nausea and better as the day goes on and then more anxious, restless and tired during the evening. I take the tablet at about 7pm thinking that the side effects may be worse during the night whilst I am asleep. Hope this reassures you. Here's to feeling better and better, Sally x

• Posted

Thank you, Sally!  It's not a happy place to be, but at least there is comfort in knowing there are many others who share our experience and can offer hope and support. :O)
  • Posted

Dear Heather,

Fluoxetine gives you those sort of side effects, at least during the first 2 weeks of treatment. Initially when my doc increased my meds to 40mg, I went almost crazy. I was restless and anxiety was uncontrollable, I reduced to dosage to 20mg and I was fine with it.

I am in the 8th week of Fluoxetine 20mg and I find it hard to sleep at night and I have background anxiety almost daily. It was manageable but I thought I should try out taking it on alternate days (the equivalent of 10mg/day). So far I am feeling better.

I believe fluoxetine works differently in different individuals. Like in your case, probably a lower dose and a longer duration of treatment should sort the problem.

Y.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.