Experience with Self-Catheterisation in UK.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a TURP and that was followed a few months later with a stricture which practically shut the flow off. So I had an op. to deal with that and now have to self-catheterise. At first I had an estimated flow of 20ml/sec which is fantastic with a strong void feeling at the end. Now it is slowing a bit down to 13ml/sec and void feeling is going i.e. the stricture is obviously returning. Surgeon has now asked me to use the cateter once per fortnight although I am not sure what this does anyway (aprt from the risk of another infection!). Will the stricture stop after a while leaving me with a workable urinary system or am I in trouble again?

Anyone with any experience of this procedure? Feedback much appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

What kind of op. you had? Do you feel that your bladder is empty after urinating? I had same issue. I had a simple prostatectomy and couldn't pee after the catheter was removed after a week. Catheter went back for another week and the flow was 5ml/sec but the post void was OK when the cath was removed. I lived like that for couple weeks where finally I decided to go back. They discover a stricture, did a dilatation and had the cath for another two weeks. When catheter out flow was 12ml/sec with little amount left post void. Doc. said is good and went home. Now the flow is weaker then before but I feel like I do empty my bladder. I call them back again and I will have a uroflow on March. I have the feeling that as long I do not have fever, pain or burning sensation , I can live with this and not doing self catheterise. I have a frequency little bit higher but as long as I empty my bladder I do not want to do anything else.

I hope God will keep me in this shape for years to come.

• Posted

I had a uretrhotomy (cutting of stricture 2cm) by surgeon. I find SC easy but did have an infection (as you say (burning sensation) once so Dr. gave me antibiotics to take once when I do it. They gave me nose bleed so avoid if I can. i do it when I have a shower now so that all is as clean as possible. Last time I went for assessment Dr said do SC once per fortnight (laurie once a day seems a lot!) but I find the stricture is slowing but still above 10ml/s. I did an SC last night and this has improved the flow again. Do you do SC? Once you get used to it it's pretty easy. I have a flow test in April. All the best anyway.

• Posted

i was carrying 3litres of urin before i had my turp its taking a.long time for.my bladder to recover. now my nurse thinks i mighthave a stricture but im only.retaining around 600 mils after s long day do still have to sc

• Posted

Hi there. I have a 1cm dense bulbar urethral stricture which became apparent about 1 month post HOLEP and progressively deteriorated to a flow of 3ml/sec, over about 5 months. Had a urethrotomy 4 weeks ago. I refuse to self catheterise. I just think poking around will make things worse or at best just delay the inevitable. I will refuse a second urethrotomy as a waste of time. My flow is deteriorating indicating the stricture is reforming.

Have discussed with my urologist trying the new Optilume drug coated balloon catheter and if that fails will proceed to Urethroplasty.

I have no medical qualification just my own journey and sadly I think you are in trouble. sorry.

Don't underestimate that the stricture is more of a problem the original enlarged prostate. Please do plenty of research on repeat urethrotomy failure rates.

Google Optilume though at the moment it is only registered in Canada and New Zealand. It is the least invasive of your options going forward with a higher 1 year success rate than repeat urethrotomy but lower than urethroplasty which is major surgery.

All the best.

• Posted

Thanks. I am well aware the success rate is low (5 - 10%). My ..otomy was four months ago and has gone from 20ml/s to 14 in that time. So yes! If I cath then it improves somewhat. When I go for flow check in April will discuss options. Surgeon has aked me to cath once per two weeks. We'll see! All best to you to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.