Experience with Supraventricular Tachycardia

Posted , 9 users are following.

Does anyone have experience with SVT. I experienced 2 episodes last year and went to the cardiologist where they said my heart was healthy (echo, holter) my holster only showed 3 pacs in 48 hours. No pvcs. I was sent on my way and I felt confident it wouldn't happen again. Fast forward this year I'm under a tremendous amount of stress. I'm having multiple episodes of panic attacks and anxiety. As well as well as some depression. I had another episode of SVT it completely freaked me out. I panicked and called 911. It only lasted maybe less than 8 minutes and I came out of it. I told the medics to take me to the hospital. My heart rate was staying at 130. This could have been anxiety. They gave me Ativan. Still staying between 120-130. They gave me metoprolol and that brought it down. The nurse told me to follow up with my cardiologist because maybe there is an underlying cause as to why my heart rate was 120 and only the metoprolol brought it down. Not the Ativan. I was trying my hardest to calm my heart rate down but it wouldn't go down. 2 days later I'm wiped with depression. I can't believe this happened again. I'm fearing the worse. I'm only 27 and it makes me extremely sad. I don't want to have a "heart condition" It freaks me out. It makes me think about my future. Will this happen again? Why wouldn't my heart rate go down? I have an appointment tmw with the cardiologist but I keep having crying spells. It's really stressing me out. I thought I gotten past this. The only time I have ever has an episode is when I'm stressed. One episode I had I was able to breathe and completely calm myself down. I just don't get it. I'm depressed to the point where I'm not functional. People say it's not life threatening but it's sooooo scary. I just wanted to hear anyone else's struggle with this.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

NOT COPING!!! I am absolutely not coping with this at all. Tmw will be 1 week since the SVT attack. I find myself extremely depressed and anxious. I absolutely can not stop obsessing about it. I find myself deep into google reading everything and anything that I can but it doesn't make me feel better. I  want to start exercising but what If the SVT turns into VTach or VFib. That I know I have only had 4 episodes in 2 years. 2 times related to bending over. 2 times related to an EXTREME amount of stress. But this in itself is causing me more stress and anxiety than I had before. It's alllll I think about every day. I don't  want this plaguing my life. I really want to know how other people are coping. How they got over it. How long they have had SVT. Do they take medicine for it? I would rather not take medicine. The side effects are terrible. I have a hard time believing this is not life-threatening. I'm only 27 so I have only had this since I was 25. I do have anxiety and panic disorder. I don't want this to affect my life. But it's on my mind allllll the time right now. Someone please calm me down. Tell me about your experiences. 

• Posted

I obsessed about it too, because I never knew when it was going to happen. I had it before I was diagnosed and after. IT won’t turn into vfib or vtach. SVT won’t kill you. It is scary though , because it’s a high heart rate and can make you feel like you are going g to pass out. I take medication for other arrythmias now and don’t have any side effects at all. I stopped driving for awhile because I had 2 episodes while driving. I eventually had an ablation and so glad I did! 

• Posted

The abalation cured your SVT? How long did you live with it 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.