Experiences on long term antibiotics for reoccuring uti?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ive been prescribed a low dose of Trimthoprim every night for 3 months. I am a little skeptical as I have heard about yeast infections and resistance and it is a last resort as i am getting infections monthly. I would just like to know if anyone has been through this process and shed some light on if it helped or not etc?

Thanks smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Trimethroprim is the antibiotic of choice in the UK  Urology Clinic I attended, and nobody expressed worry about resistence, because the alternative might be far worse,  i.e. kidney infection.  I was prescribed 6 weeks' worth, to be reviewed, but, although it halted the chronic u.t.i.,  it made me horribly ill & intolerant !  So it was changed to an antibiotic I can tolerate. 

Before I was treated by the clinic, I'd been given low dose antibiotics by gp.s for 7 or 10 days at a time, which did pretty well nothing for any infection.

So, if you can tolerate Trimethr.  I'm very envious !!  Good Luck.

• Posted

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your reply. I will see how they go. Does this mean you have long term antibiotic use currently? Or any advice on what to do to reduce infections apart from the obvious things. I have been taking cranberry pills for just over two weeks now, i usually get an infection every 4/5 weeks i havent yet started the low dose of antibiotic as im still a bit skeptical and would rather see if natural remedies work just as well. 

• Posted

Hi Rebecca,

We're all made differently :  cranberry pills did nothing for me, nor did the low-dose antibiotics. No, I haven't taken any antibiotics for over a year, but I have a supply in the house, on repeat prescription (UK).  BUT  I take Hiprex  (METHENAMINE  HIPPURATE)  twice daily, prescription only.  It obviously works for me.  Not sure if there are any natural remedies for long-term infections, but pro-biotics are a good idea.

• Posted

Hi Rebecca,

I have been taking 2 separate antibiotics now for a year and a half for my embedded infection. Sadly these pathogens hide behind biofilms and are very difficult to treat. You will probably find after 3 months coming off the antibiotics that the pathogen manifests itself yet again. My tip is take a very good pro biotic to counter the effects of the antibiotics.

Good luck!

Sam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.