Experiences on upping doze of mirtazapine

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi. Can anyone tell me if upping doze of Mirtazapine causes more anxiety.  Went from 15mg to 19mg (1-15mg + 1/4 of 15mg) had more anxiety for 2 days.  Now from 19mg to 22.5 more anxiety.  Feel like going back to 19mg.  Doc says to keep upping to 30mg.  Help please.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Ruth. I've been on Mirtazapine for many years. I was started on them for insomnia, with Venlafaxine for anxiety and depression. Sadly my psychiatrist died and I was discharged from the psychiatric services to the care of my GP. When my depression reoccurred my Mirtazapine was gradually increased. It's taken me years to realise that the increases were making my anxiety worse. Added to that I've put on about 4 stones. I wish I'd known at the start where the Mirtazapine would take me. It's fine for insomnia at 15mg but think seriously about the consequences of increasing it for anxiety. Discuss it with your GP if you can. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi again everyone and thanks for replies.   Went back down to 19mg was slightly improved.  Things today not good.  Could not sleep last night.  My anxiety was very bad before but seemed to be getting better.  I have propanol to take which lowers my anxiety.  Do you think I should try 22.5% for 4 days to see how it goes. Oops forgot to say had a half of lager yesterday which knocked me.  Could that have been the cause.  Any views on this
  • Posted

Hi there, this is my experience with Mirt. Was in 30 ml for 1 month then increased to 45ml, my outcome was disastrous. Suicidal thoughts nearly turned into reality. Terrible. Dr dropped me back to 30ml and prescribed 50ml sertraline. After being in 'treatment' for 24 days I feel fantastic. Please remember...everyone is different. Our brain chemicals vastly differ. Wishing you the best toward your recovery.

• Posted

Yes, as soon as i increased from 15 to 22.5 the anxiety increased.drvsaid go to 30 but couldnt stand it. Now down to 7.5 for six months but cant get it down without side effects, anyone any advice, maybe keep chopping a bit off?
  • Posted

Im on 22.5mgs major morning anxiety. But when Ive upped meds before my experiences have been increased anxiety, so Im confused. I hate this! I keep telling myself its easier to deal with "its only anxiety"!

• Posted

having same issues. Im on 22.5 and I wake up at 5am cold sweats an panic. I know if I call psych he will say 30. Havent seen too many positives out there re 30mgs. If someone out there has been on 30 with good results, please share.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.