experiences with prednisone and PR?

Posted , 4 users are following.

A little background..I first noticed my herald patch a couple months ago...thought it was eczema or ringworm, midly itchy. abot 3-4 weeks later, caught a bad cold and at the same time broke out all over my body with INTENSILEY itchy rash. At that point, I thought I was dealing with poison ivy AND eczema. went to two doctors. first said "maybe ringworm?" prescibed creams and and prednisone. couple days later, went to another doctor because i couldnt handle the itch. my herald patch, he thought was eczema (by that time it was oozing constantly and looked infected)...and the rash he thought was an allergic reaction to something outside. so he gave me a steroid inj., continued pred, antihistamines, antibactierial cream on infected herald patch.

On the pred and steroid injection, my rash got SO much better, my herald patch literally just crusted off and there was new beautiful skin underneath. body rashes went away, itchiness went away. about 3 days after I finished the pred, I caught another cold. and IT CAME BACK WORSE. my herald patch is oozing constantly to the point of me having to wear paper towels under my work shirt. rashes/spots all over my body and now new places as well.

I finally went online and finally found the  PR diagnosis and the symptoms fit to a "T". i was SO relieved. I have been using head and shoulders, tea tree oil, quality moisturizers, coconut oil, you name it, ive tried it. no help.

My question is....im to the point where Im wanting to start another round of prednisone just for SOME hope and relief, but im so scared that i'll finish the script and it will come back three days later like it did before.

Has anyoe had any experiences with PR and pred for a SECOND round? I dont want it to keep coming back worse! any advice??

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

was presrcibed corticosteroid cream to be applied on the patches (was already on pred for somthing else) I reisted the cream...patches spread like wild fire (no itchyness....nothing, even felt like normal skin o touch) but after 5 months of it i had had enough so started the cream ...patches started to get flaky and diappeared (cant remember how long after i started the cream) however, left dark patches which are still slowly fading (after 18 months)

?Derm told me he has never seen a patient return with a 2nd bout of it.

?The cream was specially made up cream (by the pharmacist) on derm's prescription. It was chlobetasol base (spellin?) though dont know what strengh or if mixed with something else  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.