Experiences with "the ring"

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had a ring fitted about a week ago and feel fabulous.  However I have talked to one or two people who have not got on with this and had to have surgery in the end.  Also a couple of comments on this forum seems to confirm that the ring was not sujccessful for them.  This has made me feel very anxious.  Have any of the ladies on this forum had positive experiences  with this procedure.  It seems like the answer to my prayers

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Judith you say you feel fabulous so it looks as though the ring has completely changed how you feel. A lot of women have a ring fitted for years and there's no reason why you shouldn't. So stop worrying there's no reason why you would need surgery now.
    • Posted

Thank you Matron Hopefullyin time  I can forget about it and take it as "normal" At the moment is seems too good to be true!
    • Posted

Stay positive. There's no reason why this won't work.
  • Posted

I had a prolapse support ring for years Judith and it was very successful.  Then I had the prolapse repaired in November last year, but by August this year it had failed:-(  (but I don't want to put others off - I have got a connective tissue problem that makes me more prone to failure) so I was SO SO happy to have a shelf pessary to support the prolapse fitted about a month ago!  It was the best Christmas present I could have LOL!  It's absolutely brilliant and I feel 'normal' now:-))))  I should add, I only chose to have the repair done because I was having a hysterectomy so asked them to do that at the same time, but I was perfectly happy with the ring I had before.  I think pessary supports are wonderful things and make all the difference in the world!
    • Posted

I should have added too - I hope to be able to have one for the rest of my life:-)))) 
    • Posted

Chris I seem to have lost the reply I thought I had sent to you.  So  I will try again.  Thank you so much for your positive message.  I wish us both a long and  happy life with no more prolapse.  
    • Posted

Thanks Judith.  I'm certainly very optimistic because I had mine for so long before the repair and was very happy with it.  I don't think about mine at all now.  It was a bit traumatic finding the right one because after surgery it can be much more difficult getting one fitted because the anatomy has changed, and some women find they can't have one then, and I was SO SO hoping that wouldn't be me, so when they tried the third time, OH I was SO happy:-))))  So I'm sure you'll soon be the same as me and not giving it another thought:-)))))  My GP put me on Vagifem with my last one (I think this is fairly common) but it gave me a bad discharge and she just kept upping the dose of it so in the end she was giving me three times the recommended dose for 16 months and after that I got endometrial cancer, so that ended up with a hysterectomy and that's why the repair was done at the same time.  But this time obviously they can't recommend estrogen (which is what Vagifem is) because it would be dangerous if there was any cancer still around the area (although they think it's unlikely) so I'm using organic coconut oil internally and not getting any discharge at all.  I just thought this was worth mentioning if you do find you get a discharge.  Also, prolapse pessaries are made in various materials and some women find that some produce a discharge where others don't.  I only found out all this recently, so wish I'd known all that before.  But I truly think that prolapse pessaries do give women a wonderful option but they seem to be under used in a lot of cases.  I suspect if women knew that they wouldn't be aware of them there, they might be keener:-))))

• Posted

Hello Judith, Iam hoping to have something similar fitted in January, I wasso pleased to read yours & others good experiences-thank you! Can I ask a very personal question? Is it possible to have a sex life when you have one fitted? Thank you,Jennie.
    • Posted

Jennie, I never felt very comfortable with penetration when I had my ring (although they say you can) but the one I have now isn't possible at all.  So I guess to some extent it will depend on the type you have, whether it's filled in or a ring.  My husband was wonderful when I went to have one this time and the gynie asked about that aspect - he said he'd rather I was comfortable all the time and we could manage without penetration.  There are some that you can even take out at night, or take out every few days, but if that aspect is important, tell them, and see what they can offer that will keep that option for you.  Mine was more complicated because I'd previously had surgery so I was more limited. But SO happy to have one.
    • Posted

Chris,thanks very much for telling me your experience. I will definitely mention it to them & see what they advise.
    • Posted

You're welcome.  Do let us know how you get on.  Sometimes it can take more than one attempt to find the right prolapse pessary for you.  The first time I had one they hit the right one and the right size the first time, but this time round it was so much more tricky because of the vaginal surgery and also the hysterectomy, so I was thinking it might take up to five attempts, so very happy for them to get the right one on my third visit:-)  Hope it goes well for you though:-))))
    • Posted

Thank you Chris, I will certainly let you know. Pleased you have the right one now. : ) : ) x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.