Experiencing black outs?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ive been on 30mg of Mirtazapine for almost 3 weeks now, and while I did occasionally experience the rare black out (loss of hearing, pins and needles in face, vision white out) for a few minutes after strenous excercise, it didnt happen enough for me to suspect it was the mirtazapine causing it, I always justified these events as due to not eating correctly, lack of sleep, etc. However, since Ive increased the dose these have been happening a lot more, totally unrelated to excercise, just wondering if anyone else has been getting this kind of reaction?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rhiasaurous if I was you because you have only been on Mirt for 3wks I would go back to your GP and tell him you would like to try something else.Ive been on 45mg for 4yrs I have just began to ween off it I'm on 30mg at the moment and it's really difficult to come off.If you read a lot of the comments on this site you'll see not many people rate it .Get off it while your in time.good Luck .
  • Posted

i had exactly the same problem as you and the lack of sleep was totally debilitating making me anxious all the time due to psychophysiologic insomnia( look it up!) originally I was on mirtazapine which helped but I put on 5 stone whilst on them since 2009 (1 stone a year). then after my own research I came across sertraline and trazodone which respectively helped with the anxiety and the insomnia so I changed from mirtazapine and I now have lost 2 stone in 2 months and regularly sleep for between 7-9 hours a night and feel incredible and function like a normal person I presume (I had been so long without sleep I not sure what normal was anymore!)

trazodone dose 150mg (this can safely go upto 400 mg I have read) 

sertraline 100mg

i hope all this helps cos I was in that dark place you are in for many many years and only now after my own research and demanding to be heard have I come back into the world of the day. 

• Posted

Can I ask you a few questions?What mg was you on-how long did it take you to come off them-and how long between each mg did it take you to finally finish with them.I was given them originally for chronic IBS ,but since I decided to come of it a month ago,I'm havering no sleep,can't stop crying,and the pain from my IBS is unbearable.And I've only got down to 30 mg.My husband said to go back up to 45mg but I want to see it through this time.So any suggestions would be grateful .Sorry to have gone on for so long but I am pretty desperate and as you say there's not much help out there.
    • Posted

hi Norma 

I thought I had responded to you but it went to rhiasaurous instead. let's just say I now replied to both. hope u get what you need!

• Posted

please read my replies to rhiasauros from today as they were aimed at u really. 
    • Posted

Thank you for answering me Greg,but you've frightened the life out of me.I can't go 8yrs
    • Posted

I'm doing the same as you here Greg. I can't go 8yrs i take that much medication I really want to come off some that are really not doing the job I was given them for.I have 3life threatening illnesses but the IBS causes me the most problem,so like you I was trying to come off some of these meds, then maybe I can do something about my IBS .if that makes any sense.But one thing I do agree with you on is there's no help with drs.I did have a dr like you where I could give him suggestions but he has just retired and the ones I'm dealing with now are causing me havock.Thank you for replying to me you have been a good comfort.Take care.
    • Posted

Thanks for your quick reply, you're like a commenting nija sir, aha. Unfortunatly Ive already tried Sertraline before Mirtazapine, and the lower does pretty much did nothing except give me headaches, exacerbate my insomnia, and then once upped to 100mg, mild hallucinations. I panicked, stopped taking themafter witnessing my posters bleed down my bedroom walls, and then actually went into withdrawel, shakes, tremors, sweating, random switch between hot and cold, and honestly, Id never touch that stuff again, but I'll look into your other suggestion, thanks cheesygrin^
  • Posted

I went up and down from 15 to 45 over 8 yrs then down and down for 1 month then changed to sertraline 50 mg then to 100mg. I now take these in the morning and have started on the life changing trazodone 150mg at night that get me off to sleep soon as I hit pillow and keep me asleep for 7 hours plus with 
  • Posted

a pit stop around 3am. I had bad ibs too but cured it with not drinking milk only almond milk  and massaging your belly after peppermint tea at least twice a day. no caffeine after midday', fish and veg diet and don't eat after 8 except maybe a piece of low fat cheese(33%) or some almonds( plain) also I take lansoprazale 45mg in morning which stops acid reflux dead. u might poo poo some of these things but if ur not prepared to try and cure urself and expect your doctor to really understand all ur problems then think again cos most of them just treat people on a generic hit and miss prognosis. honestly I thought I could never feel right again but  sertraline trazodone 
  • Posted

sorry it keeps chucking me off. those last two meds and lansoprazale have changed my life and peppermint tea really alleviated the really bad ibs. remember it's u in charge of your body and mind and not ur doctor. if they won't give u what u ask for then change doctors. they don't know everything. I go in with a written statement of intent of what I need and want them to prescribe and it's upto me if I make a wrong diagnosis. hope u find a way through and I right now pray for you to get a break from the pain.

regards 

greg

• Posted

Well Greg I've just been to my Dr to reduce my Mirt I done as you said went in with my notes,he said to take it down at my own speed.A big BUT when i asked to have my Tamazapam updated which I've been on for about 8yrs he tells me no I have to come off it.My argument was I'm trying really hard to come off Mirt which is sleep depriving I can't do 2together.I was given both these meds for chronic IBS now he's telling me I can't have Temazepam as it's addicted .Im 71yrs old who cares if it's addictive as long as I get some sleep to cope with pain all day.Your right Drs haven't got a clue,my husband is fuming and booked me in with another Dr.Im really stressed now all through stupid Drs.Sorry for the rant.
  • Posted

no worries, I have a Dan in cyber karate lol. my old friend insomnia would make me hallucinate like crazy and all the mice on my mouse organ could keep up a merry dance for my bag puss mind as long as Ithey saw me looking, not to mention also the multiple personalities that could make my hands write or draw characters that my mouth would speak of for hours even days on end! but that's insomnia for you and why it is used as a form of torture. but when it's yourself torturing urself then the blame becomes depression and aggrophobia and the whole viscous circle starts over. dark stark a dog that barks over and over only in your mind is enough to drive one crazy woof. good luck sorting urself out. bleeding posters who do they think they bloody are? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.