Experiencing Claustrophobia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, recently my husband and I went shopping at the deparment store. For no reason at all, it felt as though the clothes rack was to close together. I felt as though I could not breathe. We had to end the shopping early.

As soon as we got to the parking lot, I took some deep breaths and relaxed. I feel so bad for my husband. He really tries to be supportive of me and my out of balanced emotions. I have never experienced that before.

I want these feelings to go away.

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi, If it is any consolation, I am exactly the same. I have always never liked closed spaces like lifts and toilets but since the peri, it has become ridiculous. I would rather walk up 20 flights of stairs than get in a lift or wet myself than go in a public toilet. I have anxiety levels through the roof and panic attacks on ridiculous things.

Wish I had an answer but I dont, just hoping that when I get through this it will cease.

• Posted

I remember getting that claustrophobic effect and having to leave the store asap also. That was before I was put on HRT.  Unless you take some type of HRT, it will take it's time in going away.

• Posted

Hi, Sochima, I am currently on low dose estrogen. I think it is not enough. Tomorrow I am finally going to see a new gyn doctor. I will ask the doctor for a complete hormone test. Also a cortisol test.

How long did it take for you to start feeling better? I am starting to feel hopeless.

• Posted

It took affect on me almost immediately about a week, by the second week I was back to my normal self. It is trial and error on taking these pills. I was put on 3 different pills until we found the right one. It really makes no difference what your test say. But finding a gyne that knows how to deal with this is important so you can get back to leading a normal life.
    • Posted

I really hope this new doctor can help me. I don't like being an emotional drain and on my family.

• Posted

Also, I never asked my gyne to do any test on me. She would order whatever test she wanted me to take. But even with those tests, it didn't make any difference in how I felt, nor would tell her what pill would work, it was all trial & erro until we found the right pill.

Yes, I hope it all works out for you with your new doctor.

• Posted

Hi Sochima,

Are your symstoms gone now, or almost gone? How many years did it take for your symptoms to calm down? Do you feel like yourself now?

I am so desperate to feel like me again.

• Posted

Yes, my symptoms are gone with no more symptoms and of course, I feel like my old self. It took about 5 years to get over it.
    • Posted

I always felt better when I was on a medication that would help balance out my hormones, so I hope you get on something that will help you find relief as well.

Also, were you also taking St. John's wort and said it gave you headaches while taking low dose estrogen?

• Posted

Yes, the St. John's Wort would give me headaches. Since I stopped taking it, I am not having the headaches.

• Posted

Okay you're not suppose to take St. Johns' wort with any estrogen or progesterone type pills. This maybe why it caused you headaches. Had I known you were on a low dose estrogen pill,  I would not have advised you to take St. John's wort, I believe they are contraindicated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.