Experiencing hypoglycemic symptoms. Few questions???

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

So lately I've been noticing a pattern of low blood sugar readings (3-4 hrs) after eating pancakes accompanied with syrup and a cup of vanilla latte coffee. I'm not sure why for the reason that syrup contains alot of sugar. I don't understand how my blood sugar would read low after a high sugar meal. If anyone does know this info and can share it with me that would be great! 

Also, I have experienced hypoglycemic symptoms for a while but wasn't sure that's what it was until recently when i curiously decided to check my blood sugar levels with my mother's machine and noticed that after eating two boiled eggs and drinking a cup of orange juice a few hours later I started feeling shaky, sweaty, and desperately weak. When I checked it I got a reading of 60 and then understood that all along even years before when I was pregnant with my son I experienced the same symptoms and didn't realize it could have been my blood sugar being low. From time to time I still experience the same symptoms. My mom was diagnosed with gestational diabetes when pregnant with me and it then later on developed to type 2 diabetes.

So my question is:

-Could the symptoms I'm experiencing be a sign of me being at risk of developing diabetes?

-Is this something I should bring to my doctors attention immediately? Could it progressively get worse?

Thank you in advance!!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Not sure why you are testing your bloods if you are not you're not diabetic. Sounds like you are pretty normal if after 3 to 4 hours your readings are back down. I had gestational diabetes and at the time I was told it was nothing to worry about. Thirty years later I am type 2. I have since found out that gestational diabetes can lead to type 2 not only for the mother but also the child. If I were you I would check with doctor. Also cut out all starchy carbs. Especially if you are overweight. So pancakes and syrup are a no no. Unless you make them using coconut flour. Also a sugar free syrup. You can avoid becoming type 2 if you do something before its too late. I wish you all the best.

• Posted

I have purchased a monitor to check my blood sugars so that I can keep track of how what my blood sugar reading is when I start feeling sick. That's the reason why I check it because I want to know how low it gets when I start feeling symptoms. I noticed that when its at 70 is when I start to experience the symptoms although that may be considered normal range. Once its in the low 60's I start feeling worse. I've never been overweight, I'm petite and weight about 120lbs. Thank you for your input. I'll have to start taking better care of what I eat. I have been told I'm at risk of developing diabetes due to my mother having gestation diabetes while pregnant with me. 

• Posted

Look up "reactive hypoglycemia".

As to what it means, well, nobody knows, but the old advice should work, "If it hurts when you do that - don't do that!"

You might want to learn to count carbs the way people do for diabetes and see if just keeping your carb count below about 75 per meal, eliminates the problem.

• Posted

I was always thin my whole life even after my pregnancies. Only in my late 40's I started to put on weight. I reckon I have had insulin resistance most of my life as I have never been able to put on muscle. I have arthritis and have had both hips replaced. I believe that this is all connected. I would make an appointment to see your doctor.

• Posted

Hi Mar, seriously? The meal you describe would affectionately be called a ‘carb colma on a plate’.  It causes a huge spike in blood sugar, then a crash. If you test every hour after eating, you'll see this. By 4 hours later, you’ll have crashed. Pretty normal from my understanding.

• Posted

It's good to test one hour and two hours after a meal, to *see* just where the BG goes.  A "normal" person can handle the sugar and the BG should never go above 120.  Anybody with even borderline diabetes and still good overall A1C would probably see BG go over 150 and maybe a lot higher!

Depends on serving size, too.  One pancake with a little sugar syrup might still be under 50 carbs, but a whole stack drenched in syrup is another thing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.