Experiencing menstrual symptoms post hysterectomy

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 49 and in peri-menopause. I had a hysterectomy due to fibroids 5 yrs ago and still have my ovaries. I have no lumps in my breast, but occasionally suffer from breast pain and fullness. Seen my GP and had a mammmogram recently. No lumps were found and no further action taken. At the moment, it looks like my breasts have increased twice the original size and they are so tender. It hurts a lot when I'm having a shower. I can barely touch my nipples. I'm just wondering since I've had a hysterectomy should I still be experiencing pre - menstrual symptoms? Does anyone have similar problems? Could breast pain be part of the peri-menopause phase? A friend has suggested taking Evening Primrose Oil to relieve the discomfort. I dont know if this will work.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hiya darey although that is something I

do not experience I have read and heard

of ladies having the same issue due to Peri.

I know that's not much help but thought I

would pass it aling. Good luck smile

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. Very much appreciated. I thought I was the ony one. The discomfort is dreadful!
    • Posted

Your welcome darey. Its really tough being a woman sometimes isn't it. sad
  • Posted

Hi darey,

You still have your ovaries, so it's seems very likely that you will experience perimenopause as well.  Sounds like the oestrogen level might be rising for the moment with the breast soreness. I get that every once in a blue moon now and that is what my doctor explained to me. 

I don't know much about Evening Primrose oil and how that may or may not help. If it opposes oestrogen than I imagine it would be a good thing, until things settle down.

Good luck!

Annie 

• Posted

Hello annieschaefer. Thank you very much for your reply and for sharing your experience. It is very assuring. It is useful to know that Oestrogen might be contributing to this. Hearing from you and donna has significantly reduced my stress levels!! Thanks immensely.
  • Posted

Hi Darey

I have not heard anything about breast getting larger in peri but I have heard that your breast can get tender and hurt if you are taking HRT therapy while in Menopause

• Posted

Haha Susan,

I'm one of the "lucky" ones. My breast have increased in size by a cup (ha-barely A to a real B cup) within last couple months. I'm not on HRTs. I always joked years ago that I most likely would finally go through puberty and develop some breasts right before I went into menopause and no kidding-here we are! Crazy, right?cheesygrin

• Posted

O my goodness. I am not even taking HRT and I am in agony. God knows how huge the discomfort will be if were to be taking it.
    • Posted

Hi Darey 

sorry you are in agony with your breast I have not had any breast agony I guess I'm just lucky here If i were on HRT then I might have agony 

• Posted

Hi Darey

You will have menopause symptoms. Once the tubes are tied for removal of the uterus, they start to decline in the amount of oestrogen. I read it recently in Dr Elizabeth's book "screaming to be heard" my bible right now, explaining why we get all the symptoms insomnia/irritability/muscle-joint pains/brainfog. If you are taking any replacement which includes progesterone, that will make your breast size increase (also in the book), I think it is to do with the low oest and high progesterone which makes the body think you're pregnant. 

Viv

• Posted

Thanks Viv for this very useful information
  • Posted

Hi Darey i had the breast problem before i hit the menapause, evening primrose def did help a lot.

Sue

• Posted

Thanks Susan. I have started taking evening primprose oil and I'm hoping that it works for me.
  • Posted

Hi darey I've just asked more or less the same question I'm 11 weeks pro op and have pre menstrual symptoms eg sore boobs I've also kept my ovaries mad isn't it thought I'd seen the last of it x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.