Experiencing nasopharynx issues months after tonsillectomy (but not adenoidectomy)

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have experienced what appears to be nasopharynx inflammation (or other irregularity) since a bad night of bleeding nearly two weeks after my tonsillectomy in June. It is a nagging problem that I would like to get rid of.

I've visited two ENTs (the one who performed the surgery and a new one) and get conflicting reports. The second was particularly uninterested in hearing about my symptoms or my questions, but his advice was to continue to wait. He stated that this would be normal for healing after a tonsillectomy but seemed to doubt that my trouble was truly located within my nasopharynx area at all. The first ENT, however, as well as another doctor in her practice, felt certain that I should be feeling no symptoms this far past my tonsillectomy (and they were saying that six weeks ago).

My main question is whether it's possible I experienced some sort of trauma to that region - even though I did not (according to ENT #1) have any adenoids to remove. (I was 40 years old.) Would trauma or stenosis necessarily show up when scoping through my nose? (Both ENTs scoped; the first saw inflammation but the second only saw dryness.) I'd like to rule out that this is somehow related to trauma or scarring, because I did experience some major bleeding on night 13 following my tonsillectomy. The bleeding appeared to be that area (again, even though I did not have an adenoidectomy). Ever since that night, I have felt the presence of major irregularity "up there" (at the top of my throat directly behind my uvula). It feels as though I have a constant presence of mucus, but it doesn't appear that's the case.

If I need to wait another month (as suggested by ENT #2), I can. But if there are other possibilities, I would like to explore those. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.