Experiencing severe joint/muscle aches for 3 months

Posted , 4 users are following.

Around three months ago I started to notice some dull and sometimes sharp aching in my body mainly in the joints in my fingers and feet and a little less commonly in my elbows and knees and wrist/ankle I thought nothing of it and thought I was just getting sick and it would probably pass after a couple of days which it didn't it then progressed into the joints in my toes and I started finding it hard on bad days to walk as my toes would feel extremely sore to walk on and I was finding it extremely difficult to get any sleep at night as when im lying down I have nothing to think about apart from the constant aching in my entire body..

I put off going to the doctor originally for a quiet a while as I only like going to the doctor when I feel it is absolutely needed and I thought that if I just wait it out it would go away I waited quiet a while and after a month of suffering I decided it was definietly not going away so I go to the doctor and the doctor tells me to get a few blood tests from what I recall one of them was for lupis and one of them was for rheumatic factor one for CRP and the other I can not remember

a week or so later after the results came back I went back and they all came back negative but the CRP showed a slight bit of inflammation in my body and told me that he wanted me to take the test again because he wants to see if the inflammation goes down or up in the following test

he also told me to take some 400mg of ibuprofen a few times a day for the pain (the ibuprofen did absolutely nothing lol)

After that doctor visit I didn't feel like getting the second CRP blood test done and didnt 

fast foward about 6 weeks and I woke up one morning feeling extremely bad very dizzy couldnt really move and felt very fatigued had a sore throat etc but the dizzyness and fatigue was quiet severe so I decided to go to the hosptial 

at the hospital they ren a couple blood tests and after a few hours they found I had glandular fever during my time there I discussed if that could be what was causing my body aches and they recommended I went back to get the blood test done and to sort it out with my doctor

When I got home that following day I felt a lot better and had no symptoms of glandular fever after that day felt 100% and even noticed that my body aches for the first time in two and a half months were very mild ( I would have some days where it was very mild but it wasnt very often ) after about 5 days I found some tramadol in my house a bunch of Sustained release and some normal tramadol

I decided to take some tramadol and see if it would make my body aches disapear entirely and while it did work the tramadol affected me a fair bit and I was very dazed and out of it for the first few days after a few days I felt a little more normal I was taking roughly 300mg every 6 hours for a week

Anyway its been a week or so since I stopped taking tramadol and the body aches came back roughly 12 hours after I ren out of the tramadol and since they I have suddenly became really depressed and I just feel that these body aches are never going to end I went to go get the blood test done today but the pathology closes at midday on saturday and I got there just after it closes so im going to have to wait a couple days now and then a few more days for the results to come back before I finally return to my doctor and try and get something to help me sleep and hopefully sort out this pain

I was wondering if glandular fever can cause aching to this extent considering I had the aches for 2 months before I had any symptoms of glandular fever and was confirmed to have it

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Joel

I'm not a medic but when my daughter had glandular fever her symptoms of fatigue lasted for a few months after the main symptoms had gone.

Perhaps your blood results will give you some answers soon

Good luck and get well soon hopefully 😊

• Posted

Glandular fever pain and fatigue can last for months.it is also known as epstein bar and will remain in your body for life. It can flare back up when you are stressed or sick. I was diagnosed 15 years ago and have had flare ups. My pain disappeared before the fatigue.

Magnesium helps with the pain. I take 2 at night after soaking in an Epsom salt bath. You need to take care of your immune system. Often when we get sick your body is already using antibodies to keep the glandular fever at bay so when an illness comes on it has to decide which one to help fight at the time. And like I said high stress can also bring on symptoms.

Another thing is you have to watch your heart. Sometimes it can cause damage. Ithe happened to me and 2 other people I know that had it.

As long as you keep it in check you will be fine. Some people have it once and never have any other instances but I was not so lucky. Follow up with your doctor.

• Posted

Hi Joel, please don't mess around with tramadol, it really is the devil drug - 300mg every 6 hours is way above the recommended dose. Although tramadol is not addictive your body can quickly become dependent on it . Before you know it you will have another problem to deal with eg: tapering off it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.