Expired hrt

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking an expired prescription for 2 months now, unknowingly. Now I feel like hell. Am back on current prescription. Has anyone experienced this? How long will it take for me to feel better? Anyone please?!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I,m sure there must be extra time allowed for expiry dates, as there is with most things, so I shouldn't think that is what is making you feel unwell. How on earth did it happen, though?

• Posted

Hello,

I have weaned myself to taking it every other day, 2 years now and therefore I had a stockpile and did not realize the pack I had last opened had expired 12/2016. 

I started feeling all the symptoms creeping in about 1 month ago, but dismissed it until the other day I felt really overwhelmed physically and mentally. I thought if it was due to weaning it would have occurred much sooner since I have been doing well on the every other day dose. So I checked with the pharmacist  and yes it is true that some medications have longer shelf life than the expiration. However hormones, whether it be HRT, birth control, insulin, thyroid do not. They in fact lose their effectiveness and the expiration dates should be observed.

I have tried several times over the past 2 years to even reduce my dose by one more pill and have been unsuccessful. So I am resigned to the dose every other day permanently.  So to get my levels back up I will take it everyday for a few days. 

I was hoping someone else may have had a similar experience that could shed some light on a timeline for me.

Thank you for your response.

• Posted

You didn't say what symptoms you have, but from personal experience, I had my hrt changed to patches and it took three months for all the horrible symptoms to take over my life which because they came on slowly, I didn't realise what was happening initially. Six months on, things are very slowly improving after being changed back to my original hrt. My point is that you may have had whatever is happening to you now, happen any way. Take care x

• Posted

I cut my low dose premique in half they cut easy with scissors if I feel a bit !! In middle of month I take a whole one , have done this for 6 months all good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.