Explanation to Supraventricular Tachycardia

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello,

I would like more info on why I have SVT? I'm 21 years old always been fit, athletic, play multiple sports. It's been recently I had a episode of my heart rate jumping to 124 bpm where I went to a Urgent Doc. I don't smoke, I drink socially ( I have stop though), and I really can't deteremine how this all of a sudden started. I try looking up what causes it, and ever since I had this cold alcoholic drink which I chugged it hurt my chest and adominal area. Ever since then my heart has been wack. I do have history on my mothers side that they have heart defects. I was also wondering is it safe to exercise and do my daily routine of running?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It's more to do with the electrical system of your heart, anyone can have SVT or other types of heart rhythm disturbances regardless of how fit or active or healthy they are. I was told by my doctor that it was probably something I always had and just didn't feel any symptoms til I hit my 30's. Usually with SVT you can still be active but there may be times when your heart decides to go into SVT mode. I think it depends on you and how you feel about it. A cardiologist will definitely do some tests and confirm what type of heart rhythm issue you have. For some people it can change their life significantly and others can manage it just fine with ablation or medication. If it bothers you a lot and is getting in the way of your quality of life then probably discuss ablation with your cardio.

• Posted

It does bother me even though I haven't had it very long. If worst comes to worst and it's serious I might consider ablation.

• Posted

I had one horrible episode of SVT and the decision was made to have ablation so I didn't have the symptoms very long either. Up until my surgery date the palpitations visited me several times a day. I couldn't deal with them that well but some people can. Just know that you didn't do anything wrong or make any lifestyle choices that created this, it's just the way your heart is designed. Sometimes it takes years and years for the symptoms to pay their visit. It's important to have all your test done though so you know exactly what's going on and how your heart is handling it. Caffeine and alcohol can induce episodes, they are sensitive fluids to my heart anyway. I had a lot of anxiety about my SVT and feared the next episode but some people just deal with it better or eventually you realize that it is uncomfortable but it's not going to take you down.

• Posted

Last Sunday, I had the worst episode ever. I thought I was a goner. My heart rate was 233 and it wouldn't come down. I had gone out the night before, and had drinks. I woke up for work and had a hangover drink thing. Big mistake. My doctor said I shouldn't drink more than two alcoholic drinks at a time. That sucks!! Haha

• Posted

I think that varies a lot from person to person. My SVT was very easiliy triggered by caffeine but apparently not at all by smoking or drinking.

The exception to that would perhaps be if I had a hangover bordering on the DTs after getting absolutely hammered the day before. Then my nerves being on end would actually make me prone to SVT!

But generally I never found any pattern to say that having up to about six pints of beer made any difference at all..

I think your doctor is right to warn you about alcohol being a possible trigger, but doubt he can accurately narrow down the threshold to two drinks. That's probably something only you can find out by experience.

• Posted

I will experiment and see what effects me and what doesn't. I've always had a high heart rate the day after drinking. I thought that was normal. Turns out, it's not.

• Posted

I don't know how old you are Jacklin, or whether you're male or female. I'm 57, and drink most days. I never drink anything stronger than beer because if I do then I'll drink it like I do beer. I know, because I used to!

If you are relatively young, please don't be offended if I give you the same boring advice I give my sons:

Drink as much as you like, as long as its beer, and never drink spirits!

Sorry to sound so boringly sensible, but I really fear for the livers of youngsters I see drinking shots and stuff like that.

• Posted

You need a cardiologist consult. Do you have an ekg from your episode? Do you drink a lot of caffeinated drinks? My cardiologist said stay away from caffeine, alcohol, and sudafed. I noticed my heart is less irritable when I avoid those things.

I go to the gym every day I'm not at work. Exercise has never triggered svt for me. It's usually when I'm sitting still, usually when I bend over.

• Posted

I havent tried exercising yet. I'm kinda scared plus I have an addtional cold that I caught from a roommate of mine.

• Posted

I was told it's something you're born with. I've had episodes since a teenager that I remember and I'm now 54..

• Posted

I don't remember one before I was about 37 but I guess you're right Veejay. Looking back, I think I was often borderline SVT earlier but it actually only happened when the wrong mixture of stuff coincided (similar combinations seemed to be around earlier but didn't cause SVT).

Sometimes I think the heart's decisision whether to go into SVT is very marginal!

• Posted

My son at 21 has been diagnosed with svt, he has a loop recorder fitted and the hospital monitors him, at the worst he did pass out after an episode of having a fall out with his girlfriend. Bending over seems to bring on an attack and sometimes after eating. The attacks are few and far between and he had a failed ablation over a year ago. He has had episodea where they picked up the heart rate lower but still seem to label it svt, he is under a good heart doctor so we go along with what we have been told but it does concern me if the heart rate goes slower and isn't what they say it is.

• Posted

Those triggers and symptoms appear pretty normal for SVT. I too don't understand only a relatively moderate increase in bpm being labelled SVT but perhaps once they pick up a very fast SVT then they treat most flutters and palpitations as being related to that?

I did find that my SVT was triggered by mental or emotional stress, but it was almost always delayed by a day for some reason (until things had actually calmed down).

• Posted

Yes I think the mental and emotional stress are the triggers for my son, he is currently moving into his first house when the latest episode occured.
    • Posted

I woke up with an episode. It was about 105 but that's super fast for me... resting. Sigh.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.