Exposed to Herpes?!

Posted , 3 users are following.

i recently had sex with my partner who ive been seeing for three years. He recently told me that he's had herpes the entire time that we've been seeing eachother. I've been tested atleast five different times for HSV 2 (genital herpes) in the last three years. He's been taking his medication daily for the entire three years we've been seeing eachother and i tested negative for it three weeks ago through a blood test.

We had sex recently and he pointed out to me that he has dry and cracking skin on his penis (not an outbreak, just dry skin from chafing due to rough sex). We had unprotected sex before noticing the dryness and the next day he showed me that apart of his penis was cracked due to severe dryness. Is there a high possibility that I have been exposed to genital herpes because of the chafing?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

Dear christy,

If your partner has been taking antiviral medication regularly, without interruption, then the likelihood of being infected with herpes is very low.

Adhari

• Posted

Pls Adhari

Like she pointed out he has been on antivirals for 3yrs now, is there any side effects in taking these meds for such a long time? Its 3yrs for him, will he continue for like may be 10yrs, 15yrs, 25yrs on antivirals? Without side effects?

Thank you!

• Edited

Hi mhc,

Aciclovir is an antiviral that's been on the market for nearly 50 years and has an excellent safety profile. So in theory, christy's partner could continue taking it indefinitely.

I guess in the current pandemic you may have heard of (or experienced) "lockdown fatigue"? Same applies to long-term herpes suppression. By that I mean that only a few discordant couples (one infected, the other uninfected) can sustain the discipline of suppressive therapy and risk avoidance over many years, if not decades. Sooner or later, they will throw caution to the wind. It's not a 'failing' on either party, but a mutual acceptance that they see no point in persevering. Like death and taxes, many couples come to accept the inevitability of cross-infection; what's important is that they both feel comfortable with the risk and able to support each other.

Adhari

• Posted

Thank you!

My herpes experience is really the worst. I had unprotected genital and oral sex with her. I want to find out if oral herpes breakdown the oral tooth gums.

• Posted

Everyday since September 2019, I have experienced this weird symptom of herpes. Its everyday, doesn't seem to stop with and without an outbreak.

1. Kind of mixture of heat and nerve burn, especially when I lie down on the bed with both inner thighs clapped together. Its as if there is fire between my laps.
      2. With this I can't even trek for up to 100m or go for early morning run. I feel very uncomfortable in cooperate wears, my work entails this outfit.
      3. I know few with herpes feels this, but mine seems to happen every day.

Pls do you have explanation for this too?

• Posted

People can experience post-herpetic neuralgia following a bad outbreak of herpes but I'm not familiar with your symptoms. Some of this could be anxiety and but I wouldn't necessarily assume it can be completely attributed to this.

If this is genuinely a problem caused by herpes, you should consult a neurologist for advice.

• Edited

Print the paper and discuss this with your GP/family doctor and request a prescription for a short (one month) course of either amitriptyline or gabapentin. If they are unconvinced then request a referral to a neurologist.

If you live in the UK, you might try to attend a local GU medicine/sexual health clinic and seek advice there, as they will have more experience than your GP of managing herpes.

Adhari

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.