extended PT

Posted , 5 users are following.

8 wks in home PT ended and thanks to my primary care doc I start outpatient PT today. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Good for you. My insurance paid for 20 visits and I used every one of them. It's one of if not the most important thing for a good outcome.
    • Posted

Deb, I agree with you on importance od PT and plan to take advantage of all the visits available. wink

• Posted

Hi Marge!

Glad to hear that you have graduated from Home Care and are heading to Outpatient PT!

I had Home Care, too, and did Outpatient PT for each of my TKRs.

I know that I am walking successfully now due to my very competent surgeon AND my amazing Physical Therapists.

Be sure to ask as many questions as you can think of during therapy. If an exercise hurts, TELL your therapist. They can always provide you with an alternate exercise that will work better for you.

Stay positive.

Work hard.

You will reap many important benefits!

TKRs June 2015 and October 2015

• Posted

Hi Chery...thanks for the encouragement and suggestions ..Outpatient therapy is much more agressive than in home and today I feel the results in my joints and muscles that have been a little too dormant! So much is involved in TKR recovery and I would be in  a "tizzy" with every new pain if not for this forum.  So happy to hear that you are walking successfully now after two tkr.wink
    • Posted

Hi Marge!

Remember to ICE and elevate!

I found that stretching often throughout the day and night was a real help. Flexing my quad muscles before I moved from a seated position or in changing from a standing TO a seated position really helped me build power and strength as well as overall control.

TKR surgery comes with many responsibilities, many "Have-To-Do" activities so it all turns out well. Be patient, and stay strong. You will find that you will get better and better with time.

Yes, I have gained SO MUCH from this forum, too! Nice having a KNEE FAMILY that really understands!

• Posted

Yeah.  PT is the key component along with, home exercise, and rest.  Hope your outpatient pt is a good one.

pambiggrin

• Posted

Tks Pam! The initial visit to outpatient PT went well. They even gave my knee and calf muscles a good massage after the workout. Today is another bright, sunshiny day and in my yard are the visiting sandhill cranes.....life is good 
    • Posted

How wonderful.  I enjoyed the massages at PT also.  I still massage my leg everyday right before bed and first thing in the mornings.  For me, this helps the circulation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.