External fixation comes off in 2 WEEKS!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am so happy that the big monster (external fixator) will be off on the 25th of april!

I've had it on since the day of the car accident which was 21st feb.

It's been hard to learn that I can't over plan things; and I need to take life as it comes.

I've also realised that I am so lucky to have the family I do have. And I will NEVER take my leg for granted again. 

I will be honest, I've had days where I didn't want to get up out of bed. I've cried and struggled and had endless days where I think - what's the point!? but there is a point! You have to keep going! not only for myself but for my family and my pets. I need to make the best of the situation and come out the other end (hopefully) being able to work comfortably. And if not... then I will deal with it. There is literally always a way! 

DO NOT GIVE UP! 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I feel like I could have written the part about crying and the fight to get out of bed. I agree. You have to push yourself. Good for you. Sounds like you've made excellent progress.

Thank you for sharing your good news. Very inspiring. 😀😀😀

• Posted

aw thanks so much karen! 

i love how this forum is so helpful it's helped me realise im not going through it alone! and im lucky to have only this as my issue. there's many more things out there that could be worse. 

have you had an external fixator before? what happened 

• Posted

Dear Katie

Oh what a fantastic relief for you, well done for seeing it through. Must have been very tough!

Best wishes

Richard

• Posted

thanks so much richardken 

smile 

have you had an external fixator before? 

• Posted

No thank goodness!

All the best for your full recovery.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

just to update you, i was told that i would have my external fixator off today, but nope, the surgeon was too busy with a trauma list so wasted the day going there and wasted the month worrying about it and preparing. he's now rearranged for next month 20th may... wow 

• Posted

🎉🎉🎉

Well done katie

Having an external fixator makes life hard as you carnt get clothes over it it stands out its arkward but YOU are nearly finished with it...I too had an external fixator for 6 weeks and know the feeling...

Happy days luv Maria xxx

• Posted

aw thanks maria, 

are you all fixed now? what happened xxx

• Posted

Hello Katie

I had an open compound ankle fracture so 6 weeks with my bars as i called them, then 7 weeks in an airboot nwb and just last week ive been told i can walk..so the real journey starts here i believe.....im loving being able to put my boot on the floor without the slightest fear of damageing it ((we all know that feeling😯wink) this is a great place for people like us either want a moan or reasurance because i believe unless you have walked the walk((sorry about the pun😂wink)you carnt talk the talk or even try n understand...And everyone and injury and even care is totally different..are you getting a boot when your bars come off??

Luv Maria

• Posted

I will be getting a cast put on when the bars are off.. i was told this would happen today but unfortunatley the surgeon was very busy with his trauma list/people so i couldnt get it off today so instead i have to wait another month sad oh well at least the bones will have extra time to heal, but still a bit annoying when we'd all prepared and stuff 

hope you;re well!!

• Posted

Oh luv i do truly know how you feel living with the monster ((fixator))💩

What did you break?? And have you been going out as its been a long time??? I have no experiance with a cast as i got a boot it was heavy the 1st couple of weeks but then it gets better...im not joking at 1 point i wanted my bars back😯...As it was trouble adjusting...the thing that keeps me going is every day is once the bars were out im truly recovering next step in recovery...

Take care Maria xxx

• Posted

Hello Katie

Yes i had my bars on as i called them for 6 weeks then into an airboot for 7 weeks nwb...and just last week they said i can walk again🎉🎉🎉 Its nice coming here to moan or for reasurance as even though everyone and their injury are different some symptoms are the same especially for nwb people...I am loving the fact my foot can be put on the floor without fear and simple things like crossing my legs😂😂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.