EXTERNAL FIXATOR - Broken ankle/and big toe

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi i was in a car acciden on tuesday 21st i broke my ankle, big toe and more.. i now have an external fixator on my leg and can not weight bare for about 8 weeks then i will have this removed and have a cast put on for two weeks - still nwb then i will be trying physio and hopefully will be getting back to normal. 

has anyone else got an external fixator? what do you do to prevent boredom? p.s i cant leave the house because we have steps 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello katie

I too had an external fixator fitted for 6 weeks followed by an airboot nwb for another 6 weeks(i have 3 weeks left in boot hopefully) ive tried everthing from box sets to knitting but i find having someone to talk to was best for me if i didnt see anyone for a couple of days i start thinking negitavly....

• Posted

ive started to write a book! because this is the most perfect time to start :P 

maybe try that? or read more i know it gets boring though 

• Posted

Haha i might start writing a book!! So many things change when you brake a bone n espesially in your legs/feet...most things you can adapt to be some are impossible like carrying food in on a plate from the kitchen and just poping to the shops...i wish you well
  • Posted

Things will get easier. You will adjust to your new mobility limitations and you will discover new ways to do things. I have four weeks to go before I can start weight bearing but it feels like that time will fly by. The last 9 weeks were definitely challenging. I can't use crutches, but I've now figured out how to get down three steps using my knee scooter so I can get outside.  I did a puzzle and taught myself to crochet, but mostly to pass the time I just puttered around the house cleaning.  Looked forward to outings which happened a couple times a week.  I binge watched TV in the evenings but didn't turn it on in the daytime.  It's a great time for self-reflection, that's for sure.   You are going to be fine.  Keep your chin up. 

• Posted

that's great mary sounds like you have it down to a tee! 

ive started writing a book to curve the bordom, i read a lot and watch youtube/netflix and tv now and again but they dont entertain me for long 

crocheting is cool my mum loves it! you're lucky you can go out and about because i cant - i have steps down to this property so im pretyt much stuck in this room -.- but its alright i will make the most of it and write write write!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.