External Fixator Device - Pin Infection

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I was in an accident and had ankle surgery on Aug 6 for an Open dislocation of my ankle.  I have been NWB and taking care of the pins as I was told but one oozed a bit.  I was told this was normal.

I took the last of an anti-biotic prescription last evening (BACTRIM) and this morning woke up in pain.  The pin is infected and feels worse than the broken ankle ever did.  I phoned the Shock Trauma Clinic who have quickly represcribed another anti-biotic and I was squeezed in to see my surgeon Tuesday - with instructions that if anything changes I am to call again on their 24 hour line.

This pain is something new and I expect that once my husband gets home with my medication and I get a couple of doses in me I will feel better.  What causes the pain in an infection?  My foot is warm to the touch, the area is still oozing (a little), my foot is pink.  I am seeing that the recovery process is 3 steps forward 1 step back.  

Thanks,

Mary

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Wow Mary! I hope this will be over for you soon. Antibiotics should help you feel better once you start them. So sorry that you were hurt in the accident.

get well and a full speedy recovery soon!

• Posted

Thanks.  I am just scared right now and want to get better - as we all do. :-)
    • Posted

I totally understand. It is scary and painful. How this changes life as we know it makes us feel vulnerable. 

Also when I  in a bad accident I asked for antidepressants. It helped me feel emotionally so much better and heeling was faster as my attitude was so positive . Depression is a normal emotion after accidents and Drs don't usually address it.

Peace & Heeling biggrin

• Posted

Wow!  You truly are having problems.

The reason your foot is hot is due to the increasing infection. 

Seriously, my advice would be to go to A & E and get the trained staff to deal with it.

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear about your infection. I was prescribed the same medicine Batrim its working i guess.make sure that you keep a eye on your incision and you can also clean it...i wish you the best in your healing process
  • Posted

Mary just checking back with you. Are you doing better today?
    • Posted

Hi. Thanks for checking in. My one pin started oozing blood/fluid/pus so I went to the emergency room. I have been here over 3 hours but just got moved to back for treatment. Blood was drawn to see if infection crossed into my blood system (yuck).
    • Posted

That sounds like a really stressful situation. I am so sorry to hear that this has happened to u.ER is so slow and frightening sometimes. I hope you are back home and on your journey to recovery soon. Use hand sanitizers and be sure Drs and nurses do too!

i hope a course of antibiotics is all that you need. Sometimes a IV is faster.

many prayers and blessings sent your way. This is a difficult situation & they will get you back on track soon. 

plz keep me posted. 

Gentle Hugs

H4C

• Posted

Hi H4C,

Am home after 5 hours in ER then transfer and overnight to my original hospital with IV anti-biotics and prescription for Augmentin.  I have Cellulitis (an infection of the skin) that apparently is not uncommon.  Glad to be back home though.  No more ER for me!

• Posted

So happy to hear your home. Wishing you many heeling blessings sent your way.

take care 

H4C

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.