External fixator removal- Is it really painful?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I broke my tibia fibula last April. It was my 14th week yesterday. I Had my xray yesterday and my doc told me to be back next week for removal of my external fixator or rods inserted on my bones.. Im worried and afraid but at the same time happy because at last I dont have to carry this thing anymore. Does anyone out there experience this? I also wanted to hear your story...

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello vicky

I too had an external fixator so i know your pain n frustration😈and the put me to sleep whilst it was removed i woke up to have a airboot fitted and i hated the boot soo much i thought it weighed about 10lbs but soon come to realise it didnt weigh that much at all was just my muscle wasted away😊

• Posted

Hi maria! Thanks for sharing yours. I bet my doc will not put me to sleep because as he said he would just do it in his clinic. I hope he would make my leg numb so I cant feel pain. 😔

• Posted

Morning vicky

My doctor said he will take it out in clinic but when the day came their was alot of iffing n butting ..and i was put to sleep so dont be too worried luv...

• Posted

Hi katie!

It was a horrible experience. The doctor said it wont hurt a lot when the pins are pulled off. He was right indeed. But while the screws were loosened, it was so painful. I could not explain it. I could have it done in the OR if I knew the magnitude. Successfully, I am on a walking cast now and wait for a month to remove this. Hopefully I could walk normally again..

• Posted

aw im sorry to hear it was a bad experience, at least you are out of the x fix - and slowly moving on keep up the good work!
  • Posted

hi i was in a car accident in feb and had a external fix on for four months. i asked the drs to put me under anesthetic due to my stress/anxiety issues. it was so much easier. (not to freak you out) but i went in the room to have it removed whilst i was awake and it totally freaked me out - i didnt know what was going on i had an epidural (never had it before) i couldnt feel my legs and i felt really sick, i asked if i could sit up because i felt ill and they kept pushing me back down so they could carry on with the procedure. they were all very harsh and unempathetic towards me which made me more stressed, anyway i told them i couldnt continue because i was in a pure state of stress and panic. my advice would be to ask to be put to sleep while they do it. it makes it easier for them to remove it and easier for you because you dont have the stress of seeing it/feeling it/hearing it being removed. 

p.s i woke up with a massive cast on my leg it was huge - they changed it to a normal cast the next day and i began physio! i was so happy to be finally moving on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.