External suture revealed 5 weeks post op tkr

Posted , 10 users are following.

It’s 5 weeks since my 2nd TKR.  My knee is still very swollen, bumpy and painful however the wound is healing well,  dry skin came off this morning to reveal what looks like an external suture at the top of the wound which looks like a single stitch.   Anyone else found this? I’m not sure what to do.  I’m pretty certain that it’s an external stitch that had been overlooked when my stitches were removed 3 weeks ago as the nurse had great difficulty in removing them as they were so tight,  I’m just not sure what I should do.  Tried ringing Drs but can’t get through so advice welcome 😀

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kerrie

I am 9 weeks post second TKR and I had a stapled wound. In this and my previous operation I had a staple left in the wound after the nurse had removed the staples. I am afraid I took matters in my own hands and took it out myself. However if you have a suture it’s probably best having it removed under medical supervision. Not sure whether you are in the UK but if so maybe the practice nurse would be best take the retained stitch out, but realise that still means getting through to the surgery.  Hope you manage to sort this out.

• Posted

Hi Tessa thanks for responding 😀 the problem I have is that my knee is so swollen it will not bend at all,  not even enough to get into a car so I can’t get to my GP clinic I have patient transport to physio appointments but can’t get it for a GP visit.. 

• Posted

Hi

I would get this looked into, you could contact NHS DIRECT, just to be on the safe side. My knee is still swollen and the scar is very itchy. Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi starbright ,  that’s s good idea il ring them tomorrow 

Thank you 😀👍

• Posted

They will really help, just saw your post that your knee is so swollen, just take care and rest it.  Try ice that really helps You should really contact someone if you can not bend it. as it so swollen. Hope all goes well. Stay in touch 
  • Posted

Three of the absorbable stitches used for inner sutures rose up to the surface of my leg 8-12 weeks post op. My physical therapist recognized the first one and removed it with a suture kit. The others I removed with sterilized tweezers. Your physiotherapist may recognize what it is.
    • Posted

This is what it looked like. The white suture gradually made its way up. It started by looking like a purple reddish dot, but there were no symptoms of infection
  • Posted

I had a large internal stitch which I went to the treatment room at the hospital and the nurses cut it off and then discovered a lot of undissolved knots! I really think you need to either go to a&e or persevere with your gp and if you do not have anyone who can take you to hospital, see if you can get a district nurse . Say you think you may have an infection and they will have to help. Don’t worry about going to a&e people go for far less! Good luck sweetie 

• Posted

I'd see your regular GP (Primary Care Physician) or anyone else you can get in and see soon. They should be able to remove it. I thought I felt the sharp nylon ends of two stitches on the drain hole wound. I told the doctor in the extended Care Facility I was in for 4 extra days after the hospital about it and he said there were not any stitches in it. I never really believed it. As time went on; about 2 months into my recovery when all the scabs fell off except on that darn drain hole, it started oozing and the skin was red around it AND I could feel the nylon stitches even more. I booked an asap appmt with any GP I could get in to see as I thought I had an infection. Even this doctor told me he didn't think I had a stitch in it and I told him I know I DO! I feel it! He put on his magnified glasses and saw it for himself and said "You are right"! He took his tweezers and pulled the two very small ends out. It turns out it was a dissolvable stitch that didn't dissolve!  He put me on antibiotics and now my drain hole is healing. TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS.

• Posted

A week ago today I had fallen and needed 5 stitches above my right eye.  I was told to come back two days ago Sunday, to have them taken out.  Well, this am I saw a black line about a quarter inch long under the skin.  I went back today to the hospital, and sure enough, there was a piece of suture thread left in there, but it happened to be about an inch long.

Contact your MD's office and they will remove it. It is never good to keep a foreign body in your body.  Unless it is the type of suture that dissolves......

• Posted

I had a few stitches come to the surface too which I just gently removed myself with my tweezers...they just slid out..have you any nurse friends that could bring a suture cutter and look at the wound for you x
  • Posted

When are you due back to see your surgeon?

If soon, wait to see the surgeon who will tell you what it is, or get the nurse to remove it. If a few weeks to go, phone the ward you were in post op. They will advise you, or make an appt with the practice nurse, she will give you an honest answer.

I had an internal stitch that popped out after my 1st TKR, the practice nurse just snipped it off flush so it wasn't annoying me somuch, when she took the staples out. It fell out at about 2 months.

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

was the stiching done in staples, if so should be ok , in saying that, when mine were removed they missed 2, so had to go back. should look like a zip.
  • Posted

hi kerrie, did you have staples, as i did, but nurse missed 2 had to go back, your scar should look like a zip, can still see my scar after 11 weeks. seems normal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.