External Thrombosed Hemorrhoids (Piles) - Pain & Bleeding

Posted , 18 users are following.

To give some context: 

I’m a 20 year old American male, I am very active and athletic, I’m in college right now as a nursing student, I’m a full-time firefighter/paramedic, and I’m assigned to the busiest fire station in the city. This plays a role later on. 

Here’s the entire story, little lengthy but I think it gives light to where I am now. 

Roughly 4 days ago I developed an external hemorrhoid. I’ve had internal and external before, but with relatively no pain and little-to-no blood. That morning, I went to the gym and did some power lifting, which I think may have been the instigator. Later that afternoon, I discovered it after a bowel movement, but there wasn’t any blood or pain associated with it, just a small (about peanut sized) lump. Didn’t think much of it, figured it would go away like the others have in the past. 

Fast forward a few hours after I discovered it, (late in the evening around 10pm), I began to feel some pain, but it was more annoying and uncomfortable that an actual ‘hurting pain’. 

The next day, I woke up in a world of hurt. I examined the area, where I discovered that the previously peanut-sized external hemorrhoid had doubled in size and had a small dark blue/purple mark on it. I still didn’t have any bleeding, just excruciating pain. That is when I realized it had become a Thrombosed External Hemorrhoid. 

I soaked in a warm bath for 10 minutes, cleaned the best I could with some wet tissues, applied a generous amount of the prep H cream, took ibuprofen and an ambien and passed out for the next 6 hours (I obviously wasn’t going to class). When I woke up, the pain had decreased, but still hurt a good bit. I soaked in the tub, and repeated the process from earlier, minus the ambien. The next day I had to go to work at the fire department (24 hour shifts, 7am to 7am, every third day, so I have 48 hours off before I go back on shift), so I repeated the process later that night and went to bed feeling a little better. When I woke up I felt some pain but nothing compared to the day before. Went to work, ran a decent amount of emergency calls throughout the day, nothing too strenuous, but the pain had begun to get worse as I was constantly moving. After we got back to the station from a call late in the evening, I went to the dormitory and laid down and tried my best to relieve the pain. It hurt to move any direction, and shortly thereafter we got a house fire call. Long story short, I thought I was going to die, it felt like my anus was a propane tank on fire and was going to explode. By the time we got back to the station I was in unbearable pain. I took a shower and that’s when I noticed a some blood on my boxers. Fast forward to the next morning, I didn’t sleep at all that night, and the pain had gotten unimaginably worse. As soon as I got home I took off my clothes and that’s when I saw that I had bled through my uniform.

I soaked in the bath, cleaned with wet tissues, applied prep-H, iced for 20 minutes, took ibuprofen, then placed some gauze in the region and got in bed.

Woke up a few hours later to find that the bleeding had slowed a lot, and my pain had decreased significantly.

I did the whole regimen once again, and honestly felt pretty good. It didn’t hurt at all moving around, just a slight annoying feeling. 

Then, I had a bowel movement. I thought I was going to have to summon a priest, some of the worst pain I have had since this ordeal started. My stool was relatively normal, not hard or loose, and I had a fat bright red blood clot sitting on top. I sneezed in the middle of it and was almost certain I shot my lower intestines out of my body. I couldn’t wipe, so I resorted to the shower and those wet tissues to clean, and did the same regimen as before, and it seemed like in 30-45 minutes my pain was almost gone. 

Since I have final exams next week, I have to//NEED to study. So I have to sit at my desk for long periods of time. I had no pain sitting for the first few hours, and the bleeding was there but almost nonexistent. Fast forward 6-7 hours later (I got up a few times and walked around) I felt that annoying pain again and discovered I had bled through my clothes once again. 

Now, it has been 12 hours since then, pain is the same, and I’m still bleeding. I’m a paramedic, and a nursing student, I’m well aware of what can happen if bleeding persists. But it’s not a lot, just enough to be slightly concerning when combined with the fact it hasn’t stopped in about 18 hours despite my efforts. 

I looked online and there’s next to nothing about thrombosed external hemorrhoids bleeding, aside from a few mentions about if they aren’t treated by a doctor with a small incision to remove the clot, they will resolve themselves by popping. 

Has anyone had an experience like this? If you’ve had a thrombosed external hemorrhoid, how did you treat it? How long did the bleeding last? How long did it take the pain to go away completely? How much bleeding is too much? Those who had to sit for long periods of time and/or be active, what did you do to manage this? 

I’m past the window my doctor could do anything so I haven’t bothered with him, plus with final exams and work, I don’t  have time to be out for Even just one day now. I have work tomorrow, and I need this to be resolved. Specifically the pain and bleeding, moreso the bleeding. 

Any advice or personal insight/opinion is 100% welcome and a big thanks to those in advance that will reply. 

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've been in extreme pain all week. I guess I strained too hard over the weekend and am now paying the price. Didn't have bleeding just extreme pain. I started with Prep H wipes and the cooling gel. At night I apply the tel then fold up a wipe and run it between my cheeks and leave it in there a good 8 hours. While at work I was using the $24 tube of Prep H with the extreme lidocaine. Last night I started with soaking in the Epson salt bath. Well tonight I stopped at the store to try the paste of mixing Epsom salt and glycerin and really felt the need to go. It was like a knife going up my butthole. I finally made it home and started the hot bath and stripped down and then hit the toilet. Not as painful as I was expecting or it has been but when I stood up the toilet was full of blood. Lots of clots on the wet wipe I used to clean myself. Did it burst? I have to admit I feel much better! I'm soaking in the salt water and still plan on applying the salt/glycerin mixture when I get out. Is the worst over??

• Posted

it could be an anal fissure that's making you hurt after you poo, it also makes you bleed and feels like your ripping your arse open with shards of glass

• Posted

this has been my life for 5 years and thats even with halo surgery in between.

i havent found anything which will make it stop.

but to manage life i use vaseline when i use the loo and lidocaine cream after

i soak in the bath after every BM

I use transamic acid when the bleed is more than 2 weeks

and i eat a low fodmap diet

and live on paracetamol

sorry i couldnt help more if you find anything let me know

• Posted

hello, can someone give me advice about this? im having this problem for 1week now. everytime ill make a BM its like that a knife is exiting the anus. after that ofcourse the hems are out there so it gets me trouble putting it back because its hurt so bad like im dying, evertime i do BM the hems are getting out. at first i just have this severe pain doing BM, but this past 3days im seeing blood in the toilet. im already taking pills like daflon and pain reliever. im also putting cream on it 3tines a day as the doctor says, im also taking stool softener now. im doing sitz bath also it helps relieves pain mostly after having. i dont know if this pain every BM's are normal =( im having trauma doing BM's now cause it really is a nightmare=( can you guys give me some advice for relieving pains atleast while doing BM's? and putting back hems after. Thanks!

• Posted

How are you doing? Did you find the help and answers you were looking for? I'm dealing with this as well and am considering surgery. I'm doing everything the Dr has told me to do but nothing is helping. Everyday is a struggle.

• Posted

Can you tell me if you had to have surgery? I have had a thrombosed hemroid for three weeks and it is very painful. Would love to know how you managed yours?

• Posted

I did. I had surgery for hemorrhoids and a fissure, along with a botox injection. It was rough. I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I'm currently at the 3 month mark in what I believe is a thrombosed hemorrhoid that is hard and purple and is causing horrible pain, swelling, and now burning. My gastroenterologist performed a colonoscopy to rule out any tumors. He also took a biopsy from one of the hemorrhoids. Waiting for my follow up appointment now. In the recovery room after the colonoscopy he said all he seen is hemorrhoids. Has anyone experienced these symptoms longer then 3 months? What home remedies helped if any?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.