EXTRA CERVICAL RIB AND PROLAPSED DISCS

Posted , 3 users are following.

:cry:

\"Thankyou for taking time to read this. My name is Carl and i have seen several surgeons in relation to c4 -c5 and c6-c7 prolapsed discs. This has been on going for 4 years now and find it very hard to live with this pain . I am a fireman aged 41 years old. The surgeons have said that my severe pain is not related to my disc problems and spinal surgury will not benefit me. What i do have though is an extra cervical rib on my right side and all the symtoms i have are that of thoracic outlet syndrome. Incredible pain in my hand, forearm. upper arm. shoulder, neck and bad cases of neuralger which gives me a constant burning pain in my head 24/7. Somebody please listen and help me as life is not good. I have a 15 month old baby girl who i want to do the normal things with. Its not much to ask is it. Thank you.\"

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carl, I am sorry to hear that you are not well - it sounds like you are having a really hard time at the moment - something I can very much relate to.

I am 24 and also have thoracic outlet syndrome (although the condition caused blood clots (DVTs) in my arms rather than affecting my nerves and causing pain of that nature).

Have your doctors given you any advice? It should be possible for you to have your extra cervical rib removed to relieve the pain that you are suffering. I didn't have the extra rib (it is my first ribs that are causing the trouble) but I had my right hand rib removed about 6 weeks ago in an effort to stop more clots happening. I am not sure if they do do this for nerve damage, but they should definitely be able to provide you with physio exercises to try and relieve the pressure. By the sound of your pain I think there is definite justification to have the surgery.

I hope someone has helped you since your post.

• Posted

Surgery or no surgery?

I've been researching this since January, problems for 10+ years - and everyone is a different case.

I am back to square one at the moment, back to carpal tunnel! No it's further up they said. Latest Neuro said ribs would have nothing to do with it - b4 he tested! nope, bad wrists, bad elbows - are you going to check further up? no that's my descision.

In the time honoured fashion of us uncomplaining little brits - whatever......

You pay your money and get an op - really I've talked to folks and they don't appear on these websites do they? and America is so bad they operate straight away and you get the bill. (simple maybe?)

Yes I'm disillusioned - I've been poked, prodded, electrocuted, jabbed with needles just for the latest doc to say no? Well C-ribs have been known to be a problem before the Romans - did they diagnose Anxiety then?

Sorry mods, folks need to know that you have to believe in yourself and keep pushing for help - if you are in pain please do not give up x

• Posted

nice to read about people's experience - I 'm in Canada -in my early 50's - female and developed a blood clot in my right arm 6 weeks ago - wrist to shoulder - the hematologist informed me today that since the clot is highly unusual and there is no clear explanation for it - I'm being referred to a vascular surgeon because of the presence of 2 cervical ribs - which I knew 25 years ago existed when I was experiencing TIA-type symptoms that were never really dealt with -those symptoms returned a year ago and I was in the process of exploring them from the perspective of a neuromuscular disorder -

I'm loathe to get involved past the 3 month treatment for the thrombosis -in part because of my experience trying to sort this out 20 years ago and spending my life in doctor offices and getting no satisfaction or resolution - also there doesn't appear to be good evidence concerning Thoracic Outlet Syndrome and the efficacy of surgical removal of the ribs -or indeed if such a condition really exists - on the other hand I presented with symptoms of a pulmonary embolism or an MI before they picked up on the thrombosis - neither occurred - but I do wonder what the heck is going on -

any ideas, thought, suggestions? - Thanks -

• Posted

Have a look on ATOSA website - there's a few Canadians there too & advice on TOS docs

All the best Jane x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.