Extra long period. Is this normal. Please help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am new to this forum and the more I read the more i think i am in perimenopause. I am

hoping you can put my mind at rest. I am abroad on holiday so no chance of seeing GP. I began my period 12 days ago, i am really heavy so delighted it would be over before my holiday. Usual pattern, very heavy for 3 or so days and slowing down by last weekend. The thing is it has never stopped. It is now very light. Not really showing up on a pad but there when I wipe. This has never happened to me before and the worry of it is ruining mu holiday. I am on day 12 since my period began. Is this normal? I have also had dizzy spells just before this period that I see are another symptom. Please reply!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Yes, this is normal for perimenopause. Several months ago, I had a period that lasted 12 days: it alternated between heavy, stopping, spotting, and then heavy. Eight days later, I had another period that lasted about 8 days. I have read women on this forum who have had periods that lasted more than 30 days! The closer you get to menopause, the more erratic women's cycles often become. How old are you? The "normal" range for full menopause is 45 to 55, but perimenopause can start quite a bit earlier than that. I hope this helps:)

• Edited

Hi, thanks so much for replying. I am 48 so in the right age group. i have never had anything like this previously but i think i have some other perimenopause symptoms.

• Posted

You are definitely in the right age group. I started getting symptoms at 47, and they have become more intense as time has gone on.

• Edited

just came to this forum for the same reason I just turned 52 and have been bleeding for 15 days it was heavy then light and now back to heavy and cramping . I feel awful with all this back pain also really intense

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.