Extreme chest/rib pain after open ovarian cyst removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've just had open surgery to remove an 18cm ovarian cyst from my right ovary, along with the right fallopian tube on March 28th. It'll be 48hrs since. I expected abdomen pain, that's obvious but I didn't expect the excruciating stabbing pains on the right side of my chest/ribs. It happens when I must get up and use the bathroom and it hurts the absolute worse when laying back down. Such sharp pains that I can't breathe but short shallow breaths. I shake from the pain. I want to cry but then as I start to tear up, it hurts my whole body. It causes me such panic. My chest feels like an elephant is sitting on it, like my ribs will break. The oxycodone isn't doing much for me either.

Is this normal or is this one of the reasons you go back to the hospital. My whole body feels like I was by a train!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sorry to hear you are in pain. If the operation was only 48 hours ago are you not still in hospital? Speak to the medical staff about your concerns. The last thing they want is for you to be in excruciating pain. Your recovery will be so much quicker if you are made comfortable. Best wishes.
    • Posted

I was sent home the same day. Surgery around 7am and home by 3pmish. I'm a little better today but still very bloated.

I wrote my obgyn surgeon and the nurses replied saying they filled my cavity with CO2 to better get in there for the removal and therefore gas pockets get stuck under the ribs and feel like sharp shooting pains. I assume they had to separate my stomach muscles too because it feels like I've done 1500 situps and crunches.

If I could pass more gas or have a bowel movement I'm sure I'd feel better but these stool softeners just aren't doing it. I've added grape juice and Smooth Move tea hoping that'll get the doors to open down there.

Thanks Lizzie!?

• Posted

Hi. I sympathise. I had a hysterectomy 6 years ago and the pain from the trapped wind far exceeded any pain from the wound. I was crying all the time from it. The good news is it will pass fairly quickly. I'm due to have my ovaries removed on Tuesday next week because of a complex cyst which could be sinister (they left the ovaries at the time of my hysterectomy so I wouldn't go through menopause early). I'm currently full of a cold too so desperately trying to get rid of it or they won't operate. Stressful times. Good luck with your recovery. I hope it improves quickly.

• Posted

Hi! I had open surgery and had both sides removed - along with 2 cysts. The pain for me was far worse than I ever expected it to be. Same as you, when I would go to get up and get back into bed the pain was “off the map” - I could almost pass out from it! Just to make the slightest move sent pain ripping thru me. For me it was 10 days before I saw a difference- still bad but tolerable. I was on oxy and Tylenol 500’s - I had to take it ever 4 hrs without missing it. It does slowly get better, each week you will notice a difference! Hang in there - once you get they that first stage then you are on your way. Try to move as little as possible other than walking. Walking is good for the healing! 
    • Posted

Did u have to stay in the hospital and how long. I am having my left ovary and part of my tube taking out. Do u know how long i will be out of work.
    • Posted

Oh you hit the nail on the head Jackie. That was described perfectly.

The only walking I can do is down the hall to the bathroom before I am just done. The gas trapped inside is uncomfortable as all hell and I'm struggling to get it out. These stool softeners aren't helping.

Ok 3 days down, 7 more to go!

Thank you for your reply Jackie.

• Posted

How much pain was u in. I am having surgery done on the 9 of april they are taking my left ovart and part of my tube taking out
    • Posted

It's pretty awful, I won't lie to you. I'm not sure how big your cyst is but mine was huge so that may have been why I was filled with so much CO2 gas, plus I'm pretty sure they separated my stomach muscles to access it. So maybe that's why I'm in such terrible pain.

I am so sorry you'll be going through this as well. I hope you have an easy recovery Tracy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.