Extreme Constant Back and Neck Pain After a Lumber Puncture

Posted , 21 users are following.

I had a Lumbar Puncture 2 months ago to rule out meningitis and it turned out to be negative. I was admitted to the hospital for extreme fatigue, muscle weakness, and headaches. I was diagnosed with migraines and the lumbar puncture was just one of the many tests that they ran. The procedure itself took about 10 to 15 minutes and was very painful, however unlike a lot of the stories on here the doctor didn't miss or have to stick me several times in order to get my spinal fluid. They had me laying down flat on my stomach and used an x-ray to find where where he was going. After the procedure the tech. that helped the doctor told me to move myself to the other bed so that I could be transferred to my room as I was being admitted for further testing. The doctor told me to lay down on my back and be completely still for four hours which I did. I only sat up in my bed after the 4 hours were up however about 3 hours after I did sit up, I was in extreme pain in my back. I never had a headache after the spinal tap apart from the Migraines that they diagnosed me with but it did not result from the spinal tap. It has now been 2 months since this has happened and I have still not been back to work because I cannot bend over at all. My pain is from the puncture site in my lower back and shoots up my spine to up upper back and neck. It also will shoot down my right leg from time to time. Sitting is the absolute worst for me it, I can stand for a little while before it starts to hurt me really bad. A week after I had the spinal tap, I went to a pain clinic and had a MRI done to make sure that my spine is not leaking and its not. I am now in physical therapy twice a week and it does help but only while I am there. My doctors and my PT have never seen anything like this. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have a lot of the same issues. I experienced a couple of episodes with bacterial meningitis symptoms (negative results), would have a puncture done, would get over everything in roughly a week. Its been I think 10 years since the last time I got a puncture. I'm actually awake right now icing down my lower back because it feels like my lumbar is swollen. Sometimes if I move wrong it feels like something is in there, like a needle. It's not. The doctors have no idea what is causing it. Additionally, I've got a pineal cyst, and fibromyalgia to complicate their attempts at solving it. I had to walk with a cane for a while, because the nerve in my right leg was too weak to support me. I was having luck getting steroid shots, and then eventually had the nerves endings burned out in my neck and lower back. It lasted for about a year, but they grow back and you have to do it again. That was probably the most effective though, and I was able to work repairing machines with that treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.