Extreme dry 👄 mouth

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on 300 mg a day of Gabapentin for a year. Been off two weeks. The doctor took me off. Abruptly. I'm experiencing extreme dry mouth. Anyone else had this problem on or off this medication? Also, headaches in the afternoon.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi teresa 

300mg is actually a pretty low dose ... however as gabapentin are anti-seizure drugs used for nerve pain there will be some side effects when coming off this dose 

however your doctor was wrong to simply take them off you .. he should of tapered you down by 100mg per week .. this would not only avoid these side effects like dry mouth and headaches but would also be easier on you ... infact the guidelines for gabapentin state the patient should be tapered off the drug and not stopped abruptly... too many doctors prescribe these drugs with no idea on the way they work 

if you have any gabapentin remaining then i would see if you can reduce to 200mg for the next week and then 100mg for the final week .....

also if you have one of the leaflets that came with the gabapetin box then read it ... it clearly states patients should not be taken of these suddenly 

i hope this helps teresa 

• Posted

May I ask what you took gabapentin for. I know it works for many things. I was prescribed 400mg a day for Restless legs syndrome. I'm much better. But, it hasn't taken it away completely. Sometimes when it starts in the middle of the night ,I take 100 mgs. More

• Posted

hi willyo 

i take 900mg daily for a thorasic herniated disc ... i was also offered pregablin but found that didnt work as well with the pain 

prior to taking gabapentin i suffered severe restless legs .... wanted to throw them out of bed ...however gabapentin( as you have found ) works well with this ....  

personally i would take 200mg during the day ( 2 x 100mg doses ) and then the remaining 200mg at night .. also ( and ive found this ) try to avoid wearing pyjama,s .... i only wear boxer shorts and this helps my legs breath ... this is probally just me but worth a shot 

and finally give yourself at least 3 hrs relaxation prior to going to bed ... doing anything strenuous before bed could bring on RLS .....

hope this helps mate 

• Posted

The myriad of symptoms you may experience are unbelievable. I was on 1800mg Gaba for 8 months. When I stopped taking it Feb this year, I had gobs of mucous from nose and eyes, nausea, vomiting, freezing, chills, shivering, shaking, headaches too. Depending on how long you took it, it could take 6 months to one year for it all to go away. Best of luck to you.
  • Posted

Hi Teresa,I actually have been put on Gabapetin about 4+ months ago starting at 200mg going up to 600mg a day in 200mg increments as well as Mirtazpine starting at 15 mg at night to 30mg (15am,15pm) for IBS and nerve pain as well as anxiety/depression.At the same time they were tapering me off Paxil which I had taken 20mg twice a day for about 20 years.Tapering is the way it should be done,but even then as I've found out it can mess up your body/mind.Talk to your doc about tapering to help cut back on your withdrawal symtoms(which those appear to be).Prayers it will get better! Good luck and God Bless You,Bob

• Posted

I started on Paxil yesterday. I hope I have bettter results over Zoloft. Side effects from Zoloft were horrible.
  • Posted

I'v had dry mouth since almost the beginning. I was put on this after cymbalta,because I kept waking up with a white tongue in the morning. Dr started me on Gabapentin 300 once at night ( "and of it will help you sleep"wink I take ADD medicine only if my concentration is bad, other than that coffee helps me. I gave the NP my full BIO. I am ADD, I am also Native American ( yes I have  Im strawberry blonde hair and blue eyes , would you like to see my card? Actual Nation Member,

can I help Grandma was blonde hair blue eyed Irish?) medicines that " help people sleep" can have the opposite effect on me. I'm one of those lucky people that if the Dentist numbs me, he better stay right there and start cause in 5 minutes, I'm not numb anymore) Took the Gabapentin the first night, up all night, I called to tell them it wasn't going to work, I was told the Dr would like me to take it til my RX was done. That these side effects would cease and I'd be able to sleep within a few day.my mouth was dry from the day forward. Especially about 9 at night it would get so dry, id almost gag. I also woke up every morning liked I'd been beat up, worse than my Fibromyalgia itself. The irritation started almost immediately and I couldn't figure out why I was angry and upset and feeling like I had no control. Before any drugs, I'd get up slowly and take blood pressure, thyroid and take my 1 ADD med and sit and drink a coffee, and slowly get moving. This stuff, I hurt to even move and if I could get moving it wouldn't last long. By 2-3pm, I'd be hurting bad, cramps in my calves and angry and 😤 irritable.and not have a clue as to why. I have been trying to sew for a daughter's wedding. I threw out about 50.00 in material because I sewed the wrong stitch! (Normally, id of just pulled it out and begin over.felt I was going crazy. The dry mouth is the worst, I've drank so much water,Coke, seltzer water,orange juice etc. and have to be in the bathroom and not be able to leave feeling like on top of that mess I had to also throw up. I didn't read about this beforehand. Day 15, I had enough, somehow in my foggy mind I realized it was the medicine. I stopped taking it Tuesday. I've felt like a crazy person these last few days. I called and told them and they imeditatly but me on Milnacipran and said o start that day ! I thought I was going to die. So I haven't taken a 2nd dose. My feet had no feeling and I spent most of the night sick in the bathroom. Last night I was even thinking I needed to move and start over( I have a Saint as a husband). I read about Gabapentin and got p****d off. It is a Anti depression medication?? I have ADD, this stuff should never of been given to me and they don't want you driving etc. I was itching so bad constantly my leg was bleeding from the itching and my back was all red from the scratcher. Why is this stuff out there? Today I feel somewhat calmer(?) but scared because I know the crazy thoughts etc was from this medicine.yesterday, I'd be freezing one minute and sweating the next. I was yelling at the dogs. And being unreasonable and unable to feel calm or rational. My husband read the info I found and kept telling me to not be so hard on myself. And now I find it can take awhile to get out of my system. Great...and for the record the Savella( milnacipran ) is just as bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.