Extreme Eye Stiffness

Posted , 6 users are following.

I spend arround 10 hours a day in front of a screen. For the past years I feel my eyes very tired to the point now i just feel comfortable with them closed.

What concerns me the most is how hard it is for me now to keep my eyes open like there is some kind of force pulling my eyelids down. It's not a sleepy feeling but more like my eyeballs are struggling against the surrounding muscles.

When I look up/down or sideways I feel my eyes/muscles very stiff and have the feeling I can only look half the way in those directions and if i hold my eyes up for example for like 10 seconds I get dizzy and very confused when eyes get to the center.

I have this stifness in my eyes from the first moment I wake up instead of feeling rested and relaxed eyes.

If I pull my eyelids and surrounding muscles up (with the use of my fingers) I feel very relieved and my eyesballs can move freely almost without that stiff feeling.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

could be spasm of eyelids' muscles, so it needs relaxation , warm compresses and sometimes short term muscle relaxants. And the  best is to take a vacation and stay  outdoors away from screens for somedays.

try to look at distant objects and avoid reading for a while.

• Posted

Besides the bad night vision and light sensitivity, the stifness arround eyes it's what troubles me the most.

I think you are absolutyl right! I feel like my eye muscles could use a massage and some relaxation, but it's the eye you know.. I can't seem to find a wy to relax them because I need to work and they aren't easy muscles to relax like you could get a back massage and feel that instant relief.

• Posted

the thing is, if you don't give them a break, they will do it for you.  Your muscles can only take so much, like any other muscle.  You will be sorry if you dont . . .as they say, "an ounce of prevention . . ." 

do you take magnesium and fish oil? they help muscles to relax.  I don't know if it would help but? 

Hope you can figure this one out, it's tough when you have to work. 

• Posted

Hi Maria, I wonder what the doctor told you about your eyes because we have the same exact symptoms. 
  • Posted

Hi, it looks like this is an older post but i'm very interested. i have the same eye symptom, MRIs and blood tests do not show anything. Did you get a diagnosis? how is your condition now?

thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.