Extreme Fatigue

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with IBS now for around 2 years and had blood tests for thyroid disease, urine samples and stool samples taken. I am always extremely fatigued, regardless of whether I have done anything or how much sleep I get. I've recently however discovered my mum is anemic, which obviously makes you very fatigued. However, I've also read it can cause IBS, headaches, heart palpitations, etc. all things that I find myself suffering from. Can anemia be passed on genetically and would it have shown up in my thyroid blood test?

Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

IBS can leave you very fatigued if you are having frequent bad flare ups.  It can also cause headaches and palptitations too because of anxiety.  Anaemia and thyroid problems can cause headaches and tiredness.  If your thyrioid is underactive tiredness, weight gain, heart palitatiions are symptoms along with anaemia.  If it is in your family, you may be more likely to get it but equally you may avoid it.

if your anaemia and thyroid tests are normal, it is more likely it is your IBS causing these symptoms.  If you have anaemia or an underactive thyroid, it will show up in blood tests.  

• Posted

Anaemia is not genetic unless it is caused by an underlying illness that in itself is genetic. Anaemia requires a full blood count which is different to a thyroid test but is usually the first thing the doctors order. You need to look at your diet- if you are eating poorly and/or not well hydrated that will account for all your symptoms.
  • Posted

I do not think anaemia is genetic. I am not sure whether it would show up in a thyroid test. To check for anaemia I believe there is a blood test that will tell you whether you are anaemic.Pehaps it might be worth a visit to the doctor to discuss this.

Hope that helps

• Posted

anemia is not genetically passed.

with our condition we tend to feel down on regular basis, when i feel down as i also am anaemic, i eat lots of Dates, thats natural blood builder.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.