Extreme fatigue.. excessive sleep..muscle weakness back pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am getting increasingly frustrated, depressed, worried, upset. For 6 months I have been suffering on a regular basis with chronic fatigue.. I can only describe it as trying to function whilst being heavily sedated? I can sleep for up to 2 days.. rarely waking and takes a long time to wake/bring me around. My muscles are weak.. barely able to lift my arms or stand on my legs. When having a bad week I remain mostly in bed.. difficult to coordinate..don't wash/dress/eat or drink without help. I am constantly exhausted and struggle with the simplest of tasks. I forget words in conversation's and what I am talking about. I don't like noise or going out. I struggle to walk, had falls, tremors and jerks. I had 3 months off work and returned on reduced hours. I don't get sick pay and regularly late in to work even though I don't start until 12 midday now. My depression is triggered more often and I am a shadow of my former self... bright bubbly sociable active. I have extreme back and neck pain and now get regular headache's. On a good week you would not be able to see anything wrong with me, but the bad weeks are outweighing the good. The tests.. appointment's. . MRI scans take forever and 6 months later still awaiting results and a diagnosis. I do not claim benefits for the lost income as no diagnosis. As a single parent I receive no outside help and the stress of bills being returned unpaid adds to my depression. My symptoms point heavily towards ME but still awaiting a return visit to my neurologist. Any help/advice/your struggle and how you managed would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the essay!! Thank you for reading.. Jane

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane, 

I am sorry to hear you have been struggling so much, what you have written certainly sounds like chronic fatigue syndrome/ME.  

I suffer from fatigue fairly badly to point of struggling to get about the house and do stuff, need to take a lot of breaks but getting up and down from the sofa is also exhausting.  I also experience pain in numerous places especially my legs, hips and back.  

Your doing the the right thing by coming on here, iv only just joined hearing others stories helps, makes me feel less alone.  Reading and doing research is also good but most importantly doing something which is manageable but also what you enjoy.  I like to watch a couple of episodes of my favourite tv programs or a good film.  I also enjoy therapeutic colouring, or mindfulness colouring, I have a few adult colouring books that I do when I can once or twice a week.  Seeing friends and family also helps, but for me not to much in short space of time. 

Things will will change or improve soon I'm sure, I am up and down and it really makes me feel down.  I had mental health conditions before I had physical conditions.  I also try to read when I can focus and concentrate. I am passionate about certain subjects and enjoy all aspects of psychology and human behaviour, sociology, criminology and anthropology also fascinates me.  I am currently studying with the Open University and my dream on day is to return to work and help people, especially children and their families.  That is my focus which at times I loose but telling others about brings it back into focus even if only for a short period of time.  

I hope you find something you enjoy that gives you a little rest from all your struggles, if you already I suggest keeping doing that and maybe try to find some new things too. 

Kind regards and best wishes

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond sylvclare ..it really means a lot for your advice and support and makes me feel that I'm not alone in this long drawn out process. So frustrating to be so debilitated after so long of being fiercely independent. I have saved your message and will try to incorporate your advice in to my daily routine.. thank you for taking the time to respond Jane

• Posted

Hey Jane,

Nice work getting the strength up to post. It can be a drain just trying to assemble it all on the page right? I have been there and I understand completely.

Now, let's talk about beating it.

There's 1000 cures and everyone who has overcome it will tell you a different method. I can't diagnose you, I don't know if you have any nutritional deficiences or any underlying conditions that have manifest. Finish your cycle of medical tests in case there is anything - but if you end up with the docs saying "there's nothing physcially wrong with you" then that's a very lonely place to be. A lot of us have been there including myself and I may be able to help with my approach, which is focussed on pacing and emotional awareness. You should also try to seek out a CFS clinic who can assist you with pacing diaries and morale encouragement, as well as tracking.

As some general starting advice, you need to start treating yourself as a science experiment, consciously observing your actions, your thoughts and your emotions and keeping them all tracked in a journal. Writing things down makes you objective about them and aware of how they affect other things. Awareness will lead to control. A lack of awareness wil lead to feeling victim to unknown forces. One accumulates more power the other surrenders it. You want to preciously guard and increase your power.

Get yourself a notebook to carry around and focus at the moment on information gathering and journaling. Just making this up as I go, but your plan may look something like this:

1) Accept you're ill (done)

2) Medical diagnosis, treat extreme physical symptoms (doing)

3) Observe and document

4) Implement routine

5) Progressive pacing, conscious reprogramming

6) Consistency until 100% recovered

I've been meaning to actually put the learnings I developed during my recovery 7 years ago into a proper plan for others. I'm on here at the moment for a while trying to help where I can, which I do from time to time as an act of gratitude. Maybe I will if it's useful to enough people.

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond andytee. ..it really means a lot for your advice and support and makes me feel that I'm not alone in this long drawn out process. So frustrating to be so debilitated after so long of being fiercely independent. I have saved your message and will try to incorporate your advice in to my daily routine.. thank you for taking the time to respond Jane

• Posted

I have had similar symptoms for years and have found that the only thing that helps is taking Wellbutrin.  This is an antidepressant, and although I am not a depressed person, it treats the symptoms of excessive fatigue so I can get on with my life. I am on here looking for alternative treatments because I hate taking medication, but in the mean time this is what has worked for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.