Extreme Fear of Endoscopy Sedation!!!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

hello! Im brand new here!

Ive recently been treated for an H PYLORI infection and still have stomach pain and waiting for two weeks to retest. My doc said i should do an endoscopy since i shouldnt still have pain. I.AM.TERRIFIED. I have severe panic/anxiety disorder and have lost days of sleep and function over my fear of this procedure that i havent even been scheduled for yet. My fear is basically of the conscious sedation. I will panic if i feel drugged and out of control. If i knew i would be simply put to sleep id feel fine about it. Has anyone had an endoscopy that also has severe or similar anxiety? Everyone says they dont remember from the drugs but could i possibly be tortured with a panic attack and then just forget about it?? Or can I actually be put to sleep? THANK YOU for the support.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm not familiar with a conscious sedation for this type of procedure. I've had it done about 3 times and they put me to sleep for it.

• Posted

i think most are not done under general anesthesia but under a moderate or deep sedative. Most people have no memory of it so they think they were out cold. im wondering if some people really do just pass out because that would be something i prefer instead of laying there drugged but conscious.

• Posted

hi yes i suffer with anxiety and had an endoscopy. i opted for just the numbing spray in the end and it was fine. i think i gagged once and didnt feel any pain at all. Dont get me wrong its not a pleasant experience but its not as bad as you imagine and mine took about 4 minutes. its quite interesting to watch on the screen! its a tiny pipe and camera and the thought of it is far worse than the procedure. its over in a flash

• Posted

im fascinated by your experience...you have anxiety but did not panic with the numbed throat and there was no sensation of choking? Everybody i have talked to that did it without sedation said it was horrific and traumatizing. Id love to try but am a little fearful of feeling as though its bard to breathe or gagging the whole time. What was the part you found most unpleasant?

• Posted

id much prefer to be in control of my breathing etc rather than be in a daze doing it. i looked at the other people zonked out and dribbling in the waiting area who had the sedative and thought thats not for me lol the only unpleasant bit really was swallowing the tube for a start but it wasnt that bad at all. i agree with some of the other comments on here, im sure you cant be knocked out completley. its 4 minutes and its done 😃 you can breathe just fine through your nose

• Posted

i dint had it . i was sedated for a few minutes and they wake you up and i suffer from anxiety . maybe ask the doctor to sedate you

• Posted

I had a very bad reaction to conscious sedation and remembered everything about the procedure. It was no bad thing to remember it because I won't make the same mistake twice. Being put to sleep also causes me the same bad reactions. Maybe ask for a pill camera or a barium meal procedure instead.

The antibiotics for h pylori are very harsh and can irritate the gut on top of the h pylori. This infection can also lead to gastritis which your doctor may want to look for. These could be reasons for your pain.

• Posted

It's not a nice feeling, but it's not that fearful. I got it without any type of drug or sedation. However they spray in your throat so it helps. It is only for 4-5 minutes. You should see the positive side. If doctor is able to find out the problem, then the frustrating stomach problem will be gone and sorted out. It's much better to go for endoscopy, a 4-5 minutes of trouble rather than suffering from unpredictable and frustrating stomach issues. Best of luck 😃

• Posted

i can get past it not being a favorable feeling since its so quick but if it causes panic about not feeling the throat or like you cant breathe well might cause a panic attack. I know im prone to panic BUT my fear of the drugs is quite intense. hmmmmm....

• Posted

I am happy that I took the decision to for endoscopy. It was a small trouble but helped me ultimately to get rid of my problem completely. I suffered from hpylori since many months, but it was detected only after I had got an endoscopy.

• Posted

Did you do sedation? What treatment regimen did you do for the h pylori and did you have any pain after treatment?

• Posted

Linzetta,

In India, the triple medication is called "Somprz HP" . It was 10 days course. 2 antibiotic + 1 ppi in the morning , and same in the evening. I did not have any pain after the treatment. 90% of my problem was solved.

But yes, 10% problem was still there. It was a bit uncomfort from time to time. So, I took a course of hi-dose probiotic. In India, there is one called "Wow". However I have also heard about "Flora probiotics".

You should consider taking one, if you have gone through the h pylori medication. Because this could be the case with you too. After taking antibiotics, stomach flora gets badly affected, and you need to re grow all good bacterias. Sometimes normal probiotics don't work. So try to take the course. I took 1 capsule morning and evening for 3 months regularly. It did help me.

• Posted

Hi there

.y daughter is a nurse in an endoscopy suit, you CANNOT be out to sleep for this procedure as you need your swallow reflex to have it done, do not listen to people on here who say they were, you can only be sedated. My advice to you is to talk to your health professionals about your fears and they will work you through this. Maybe try hypnosis as I have heard this can help greatly.

very best of luck.

• Posted

Thank you! I do understand they dont call it putting you to sleep like general anesthesia but in some videos it appears as though people are heavily sedated enough to appear as sleeping basically. I can see why people call it asleep if you appear calm enough to be asleep and have no memory of what happened to you maybe haha. I also know that people think they were asleep simply because they dont remember it. Id love to pick your daughters brain haha. All i know is im really afraid of that in between state and whether Ill be panicking inside but paralyzed essentially by the drugs. It probably sounds like a really silly fear to most but its so real and debilitating for me.

• Posted

hi, i had this procedure with conscious sedation i was really nervous about it before hand. i do not have anxiety but was really nervous. i never felt groggy or sleepy. i remember being given the injection. I remember seeing the light of the camera coming towards me and then I cant remember a thing. i do remember the end of the procedure where i retched a couple of times and felt bloated. i didnt panic in anyway and felt really quite relaxed (not sleepy). i know you will have read this lots but its honestly not that bad. i never had any issues breathing at all. i dont think conscious sedation is meant to make you feel sleepy its meant to make you more relaxed and help you forget the procedure. thats how it worked for me I never felt groggy in anyway. if i had to have this done again I would be fine with that

clara

• Posted

Thank you for such details!! Do you know what drug they used? Ive heard propofol is a deep sedative and then there is versed and fentanyl for light or moderate so im sure the type of sedative affects everyone differently

• Posted

hi, i agree i do think the medication is different for each person it was midazolam that i was given .

• Posted

Conscious sedation made me groggy and sleepy for a short time which I recovered from quickly. However, several hours later I developed terrible depression which lasted for 3 weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.