Extreme hair loss. No idea what causes it. Pleas help.

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I've been noticing that my hair has been falling out as well as breaking off severely for the past 2-3 months. About 3 months ago, I was in a situation where I was severely depressed and severely stressed as well as anxious.. it left me not eating anything but a piece of bread for days. I now, am struggling with obsessive thinking of going bald. I went to get a blood test done and it came back fine....so what the hell is causing this? I've never had a good diet because I can't afford all the right things. But I had very thick hair in Highschool.. I'm now 19. I'm thinking I have vitamin deficiencies but idk. I don't understand how the blood test came back fine. I have a persistent infection in the ear, as well as an ingrown toenail infection, both said to not cause hair loss. I don't go outside at all. So I spend most of my days in my bed, where I see most of the hairs.. is it normal to see your hair falling out and just laying all over your bed since you're not anywhere else? I don't even want to shower anymore cuz so much hair comes out. Idk what to do.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chantal

What did they test you for and what are the results? Sometimes your results can be within range but still cause symptoms. 

• Posted

Thyroid I believe, as well as iron deficiency and something with glucose. 
    • Posted

Well I told the doc about my hair issues and she's the one who checked off everything that could cause hair loss. It's been almost 2 weeks since the test and no call back, which apparently means that I have no issues which makes even less sense. 

• Posted

I'm sure your results are nothing to be alarmed at. However lots of doctors fail to inform patients when their values are low. For example the ferritin range is around 16-200. However hairloss and tiredness is experienced by a number of women with ferritin under 70. Get your results so you know whether you can rule out stuff.

• Posted

Having negative results on a lot of blood tests simply means that your doctor didn't hit upon the test that could prove something. I'm not trying to be a naysayer. I'm just trying to point out another way of looking at it.

• Posted

I cannot believe your doctor did not suggest alopecia areata. It can be aggravated by stress but you can be the calmest person in the world and still have it. There is no blood test for it either. I'm going to beg you to do two things and I'm using that word beg very strongly. Please see a therapist and a dermatologist. A dermatologist is who would handle your hair loss and I think you really need to see a therapist to help you deal with your anxiety. And please let us know how you do.

• Posted

No..this is quite a serious situation for you. You should get rid of this situation as soon as possible. See a Doctor soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.