Extreme headache and neck pain and stiffness from past 5-6 years

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 23 year old male from Mumbai, India.

This is a long post, but I am in great suffering. I have been having really bad headaches for a long time (5+ years) and they have been getting worse. I desperately need help, and even after having done MRI and X-Ray, the doctors couldn't find the problem and the general consensus is I have migraine. I have been given medications like Migarid, Naprosyn, Oxidon, Nervup and Zymoflann. They do relieve my headaches a bit, but my problem is not just limited to headaches.

Every morning, I wake up with a stiff and painful neck. Soon, I will have a bad headache usually localised to one side and in the temporal area, but then spreads throughtout. As the day progresses, the pain gradually spreads all over my upper body, and I can barely move my neck. The place that hurts most are two points on the base of the skull, some points on my neck and the shoulder. 

The pain is extreme, and I cannot open my eyes or even sit up. This happens everyday, for more than 5 years. I always have had tinnitus. I have visited the ENT and they confirmed that it was tinnitus (not objective), and had my middle ear checked which came out clear (no problems in middle ear). The static ringing in my ears becomes even louder during my headaches, coupled with a whooshing/sound and pressure; so much that it drowns the outside noise to a great extent.

I also find that I am unable to think clearly. I feel my memory is abysmal, and I cannot study anymore no matter how hard I try. There is too much confusion/issues with concentration. At random points in the day, I have a hot cold feeling, especially during a headache. I cannot tolerate loud noise, light, music, cannot laugh, cry, or get excited, since it induces a terrible headache. My muscles fatigue very quickly, and I feel that I have very high sensitivity to pain.

My neck feels really really stiff, and becomes really painful during a headache. Also, when I have a headache (or when I become excited/anxious), my stomach becomes upset and I pass excessive amounts of gas. I have observed that my muscles get quickly sore when I used to workout. I wake up every morning tired and my neck extremely sore and in pain.

My grades are low, I have trouble remembering things, and at this point, I feel like I have become a "vegetable" that cannot do anything apart from confined to the bed because of the pain. I feel like a very disabled person now. I am becoming more depressed day by day, and I really, really need help urgently.

Here are some of my details-

Age - 23;

Height - 5'8";

Weight - 150 lbs;

Race - Indian;

Habits - Non-smoker, non-alcoholic, rarely drink coffee;

Deficiencies - Had a slight deficiency of Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D earlier;

Sleep - 6-7 hours daily. Sleeping more than that may result in headaches. Taking naps at noon results in headaches. I sleep on my back, since sleeping in any other position guarantees a very sore neck and upper back the next morning and multiple days of continuous headache.

I have visited countless doctors in India regarding my condition. I have had scans and tests which came out clear. I really don't know what else to do know, and would really appreciate if someone has any idea about what is going on.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

i don't know what to say but good luck and i hope you feel better soon

• Posted

I am very sorry for you and I really hope you get solutions to your headache I also pray that you get your good health back. May be try to keep your self hydrated buy drink lots of juice, water and so on because plenty of fluids can easily reduce some pain

Stay positive and God be with you 

• Posted

try to do simple exercise and gentle sports i really recommend gentle swimming for muscle ache, good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.