Extreme indigestion only relieved by sickness

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I originally had a goitre with overactive thyroid where I experienced extreme indigestion & nausea. I received radioactive iodine treatment and spent a couple of years with no symptoms? Then my thyroid became under active! It’s treated with a low dose of Levothyroxine, this dose has recently been increased and last night I had a severe attack of indigestion and chest tightness that is only relieved by getting low on the floor, removing clothes? After severe pain it is only relieved when I extremely sick!! Then all the symptoms go, and apart from feeling exhausted and really embarrassed? Does anyone else experience this? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Omg! Im so sorry, thats really horrible. The embarrassment of the whole thing is something people don't tend to mention. But it’s important because, honestly, I got to the point where I was so messed up, I couldn't think straight and it was extremely difficult to interact normally. So I withdrew and stopped attending socual events. The isolation isn't helpful for sure.

But, there are thousands of posts from people with symptoms on levothyroxin/ literally everything insginable from halitosis to severe anxiety,  emergency hospitalization for heart problems and worse .

The higher the dose, the worse the side effects.

Yes, I had bad stomach problems with it, so I had to take with food. The anxiety was horrible and I couldn’t cope with anything. It caused liver lesions after only a month, which can cause a bunch of coronary problems. They should have taken  me off immediately when the liver lesions showed up, but no. I couldn't think straight while on this medication. Even after my foot broke in several places, the docs still didn't take me off this crap.

Should I go on? This drug doesn’t work. Its a placebo with side effects. It has an initial improvement, which then goes away, as it suppresses your own thyroxin production. So it only feeks like it works the short time folliwing dose increase, before your body adjusts. 

Personally, it made me so sick, I dont think it should be used, as it is ineffective and the side effects are worse than the disease. The longterm side effects are horrible. My bones are so brittle, they break for mo reason, and my immune system is shot, so very difficult to heal.

There are so many better options out there. They are easy, affordable and way safer. 

My mothet tajes thyrogold and dies quite well on that. I taje essential amino acid complex abd phenylalanine. The amino acids work better than any medication for me, as they don’t suppress my own thyroxin oroduction, but orivide support for my body to make it.

• Posted

Do you still have your gall bladder?  It sounds like a gall bladder attack.  Everyone ignored me until I was in the ER 2 times in one night and morphine wouldn't stop the pain. My surgeon was away so his partner came in and did an emergency surgery. He told me my gall bladder was about to burst so it was a good thing my husband called his night service and insisted someone come in.  

• Posted

Hi Diane, thank you for your comments. But my gall bladder was removed 15 years ago! But your absolutely right, it is the same symptoms? I’ve had lots of scans to check the scar site and they’ve found nothing unusual ? Perhaps it just the way my body reacts when somethings wrong? 
    • Posted

Claire I sent you a pm. Its probably not so helpful as I’d hoped but I think Diane’s right on. You no longer have a gallbladder, but liver problems can lead to digestive issues. Liver, gallbladder and pancreas all work together to produce bile and digestive enzymes.

Any chance you can research consequences of gallbladder removal. Its likely you’ll have to look at this holistically rather than as one thing at a time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.