Extreme mood swings taking over my life

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi everyone i could really use some advice, for the past few months ive been dealing with some extreme mood swings that are changing every day. i have always been a very up and down person which has always been mentioned in my relationships and they have only gotten worse over time. i am at the point now where every single day i am dealing with these horrific mood swings and i feel like they're ruining my life. some days i wake up and i feel amazing, the happiest ive ever been, i have loads of energy and motivation to get things done, everything feels great. however throughout the day, this can change in the blink of an eye and go to the absolute extreme. i feel depressed, crying for hours, my view on everything changes to be so negative. i.e nothing goes right, theres nothing good in my life ect. i feel so so down and so depressed like everything is the end of the world. the next day i wake up i feel totally fine again. i feel so agitated by the smallest of things, for example losing the tv remote can honestly make me throw a fit like a child. anytime someone aggrivates me or annoys me i feel enraged with anger, even though i know i am being unreasonable i cant calm down or control my emotions. my mood swings are ruining my relationship, some days i wake up and think my partner is amazing, im so in love with him, im obsessed and infatuated with him. the next day i can wake up and genuinely feel like i hate him. i pick fights and argue with him, tell him i want to end the relationship even though i dont, i would be lost without him but i genuinely feel that way in the moment. i am so lost, i feel broken, i am draining myself and others around me.

i went to the doctor's yesterday and after an assessment they advised me they think i had ADHD which is causing the mood swings and have referred me for a private assessment (wait time 7 months). they advised i cant begin treatment until i have a diagnosis but i genuinely cant carry on like this. i absolutely do not have it in me to feel like this for another 7 months and i know i will lose my relationship if i carry on. im so confused, the doctor explained that ADHD can cause you not to manage your emotions but i find it so hard to believe that it can cause me to feel this bad. i do think i have ADHD as i fit a lot of the criteria but can that be causing me to be having these debilitating mood swings that are affecting every aspect of my life?! the thought of feeling like this for another year without treatment is honestly soul crushing at this point. i am off sick from work because i feel like i cant go about my regular life. any advice or anyone in this situation who has had another diagnosis would be really appreciated.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

see a physician about your mood swings. rx meds may help you be more balanced less ups and downs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.