Extreme Nausea

Posted , 5 users are following.

So, I know becuase I'm young, I should tell my parents about it, and I'm sure I will, but I feel ashamed or something telling it to them, so I was wondering if I could maybe find some temporary assistance here.

I can't exactly remember how long this has been going on, but about every Friday evening (sometimes it happens on weekends), I get this sort of foreboding feeling that I'm going to feel sick that night, so I do what I can to avoid eating dinner. Later on that night, usually after everyone including myself has gone to bed, I'll wake up feeling incredibly nauseous, and I'll be shaking uncontrolably, especially in my torso and legs. I always go downstairs and try to wait it out, see if it'll pass, but that almost never happens. I'll go to the bathroom, and I'll feel fine for a little bit after I've had a bowel movement. However, the nausea comes back, and this time I can't do anything to stop it, and lately it's been so intense, that I've had to force myself to dryheave just to try and get rid of this horrible feeling. Even after dryheaving quite a few times (sometimes there is some actual vomit, becuase I decided to eat dinner, even though I sort of knew this would happen) the nausea still lasts for a while, and the shaking too. I've tried looking up what could be causing it, but I've never found any reliable results. I hate having to experience this, becuase it interferes greatly with my sleeping.

I wouldn't consider myself perfectly healthy, but healthy enough to keep myself going. As a typical teenager, I eat a lot of junk, but I do eat moderatley(?) healthy dinners. However, I don't do sports or exercise, but I would if I could find the time.

Please, if someone could help in any way, or give me suggestions on how to try to fix this, I would be so greatful, I cannot emphasise enough how much it would help me

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Is there something in particular you eat specifically on Fridays/whenever this happens? If not, and a food allergy can be ruled out, this sounds like it could be a psychological issue. As someone who suffers from very severe anxiety and panic disorder I can't stress how much your brain and the way your body reacts to certain thoughts can effect your overall health. I will get extremely nauseous the night before a trip, no matter how hard I try to avoid it, simply because it is already in my mind that I am going on a trip and my body becomes very tense and goes into stress mode. There have been countless times I've been extremely unwell and convinced myself something serious is wrong, then I've gone to the doctors, been given the all-clear after multiple scans, and suddenly once my mind is at easy I miraculously start getting better very quickly. Do you think this could be the case for you/have you considered it being a psychological issue?
    • Posted

It's not anything specific I'm eating, I always eat something different; but that could be the case, although I can't really tell when I feel stressed or anxious. I'm hoping that's the case though. Thank you so much for replying! God bless
  • Posted

Hi nerdo

I think your problem is to with the anxiety about telling your parents. You have to tell them I am sure they will be more than happy to help you they would not want you to go through this alone. Remember a problem shared is a problem halved.

Is it you feel you have to eat the food because your mum has lovingly prepared it and you really dont want to eat it. I used to feel like that when I was very young and would feel nauseus after but i did tell mum and she prepared what i would eat as long as i ate something. There were certain foods I did not like.

Please speak with your parents as soon as you can and im sure they will be more than happy to help and all will be sorted out......best wishes...

• Posted

From what you and the previous commenter have discussed, I'm starting to think that it just might be some kind of anxiety problem that's causing this, hopefully. Thank you very much for the advice, it's greatly appreciated. God bless
    • Posted

Hi nerdo

Very happy to help. As a suggestion why not try and not have a dinner one evening and see if you get the nausea then, it may be that your mum is using an ingredient that doesn't agree with your digestive system, discuss it with your parents first though. I sincerely hope you arrive at a speedy remedy for your problem......best wishes....

• Posted

I don't know of any condition, or disease that works on a "schedule". As others have mentioned, this sounds psychological. What could have started out as a couple Friday nights of seafood (or other Friday meal), which triggered an allergic reaction, or food poisoning, may now have transitioned into a total psychology issue. I would share it with your parents, so you can remove that anxiety. Then, do not be fearful of eating. In fact, ask your mom to make you your favorite food, something you know you love to eat. Get lots of test the Thursday night before, so your more relaxed and full of energy. After dinner, plan a night out with your family that will help keep you distracted. A movie, or something you love to do. Most parents should be very accommodating, and be willing to help.

• Posted

Do you have a fear of being sick? I have an extreme fear of throwing up called emtophobia. If I think to myself, I'll feel sick tonight, sometimes I will wake up and immediately fear I've woken up to vomit. I shake, hyperventilate, my legs go weak and I panic that I'm going to be sick. Like you I have to get out of bed, haed down stairs and pace the house. I very much have the same reaction as you. It is usually pyschological with me. 
    • Posted

Now that I think about it, that could be the reason; I don't think I have the actually phobia of vomiting, but I am sort of afraid of it. Thank you! I really appreciate the help. God bless
  • Posted

Hi Nerdo

I had exactly this problem when I was 14 and again when I was 21. The severe nausea and the shaking sound exactly like the panic attacks I used to have. And both times I had the problem, it started after an apparently random episode of vomiting. I have a severe phobia of vomiting, but didn't realise how much this was contributing to my problems until about a year and a half after they started.

10 years on since my first attack, I have been diagnosed with a form of migraine, and am being very successfully treated for it. The reason I think you might have the same diagnosis is that migraine attacks are very often linked, not just to stress, but a CHANGE in stress levels, which could well occur on a Friday evening.

Please do not try to stop eating! I did, and ended up so weak I couldn't walk even half a mile, had to give up everything I enjoyed, and became so thin it looked like I had anorexia.

Drinking hot ginger tea about half an hour before dinner may help prevent the vomiting. Gaviscon may help if your nausea is more like indigestion.

Make sure you speak to your parents and go and see a decent GP who's actually interested in your problem.

• Posted

Try not to skip meal times or it will make you feel anxious which leads to feeling waves of high and low emotionally. Junk food is filled with sugar and bad fats. Try to remove one junk food item such as soda out of your diet. The sugar from soda can be causing nervousness and nausea. 

I would add to your diet calming teas such as: 1) lavender and chamomile tea, and ginger tea for nausea. Read about the benefits of ginger such as ginger tea, or ginger dressing on your salad. Asia is big on ginger and its a good herb to have in diet with you are having nausea. I hope this helps. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.