Extreme Nausea on Nexium / esomeprazole 40mg daily

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I have been diagnosed with gastritis and oesophagitis and recently starting Esomeprazole / nexium (as omeprazole wasn't doing much) I have still have constant pain under my breastbone and have been told this will fade once I stick with the meds a bit longer, however my main concern is regarding the nauseous feeling that I get, whether before food or after. I am getting it regardless and I can't even be physically sick / burp. Sleeping at night is horrendous.

Anyone have any suggestions with regards to bringing my levels of nausea down? What foods should I be eating / avoiding?

I try paracetamol but it only works for 2 hours 😕

Thanks in advance!

Alli

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You have probably been told to avoid any anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen as they will make it worse. You need to avoid things like alcohol, caffeine, chocolate, sugary foods, carbonated drinks, high protein foods, high fat foods, processed meat, citrus fruits and juices, spicy foods, pickles and acidic foods. Some people benefit from chewing gum as long as it is sugar free and not peppermint.

You can take things like gavisc0n and ranitidine at the same time as Nexium if your symptoms are really bad. Chew your food a lot before swallowing because saliva can neutralise acid.

Also because PPI tablets make it harder for you to absorb vitamins, I would recommend vitamin B12 and vitamin D. I take sprays of both of these because I was deficient.

• Posted

Hi ,so sorry youre going through this ordeal . It uasally take 2 to 4 weeks for nexium to thoroughly work its full potential , foods as of now ( flare up ) is bland , green veggies , no sugar ,no dairy except lowfat low sugar free yogurt ,you can add raw honey for sweetner . No caffeine , ... Hot ginger tea helps in healing gastritis as does aloe vera juice . Also at night when laying down to sleep ,prop up your pillows alittle higher , add a heating pad onto your stomach , if needed get you some melatonin ( natural sleep aid )

• Posted

I forgot to mention the meats you can eat ,, no fried meats , you can broiled fish , tuna , boiled chicken and turkey ...

• Posted

Have you been getting the nausea after taking nexium? If so, go back to your doctor, say Nexium is making you feel sick and ask for a different PPI. I found omeprazole made me mildly nauseous and gave me an itchy rash, both of which subsided after a few days. Maybe a different PPI could bring your nausea under control. There is no hard and fast rule as to what specific foods you should be avoiding. You will need to do a food diary to see what your food triggers are because everyone is different with that. The general advice is avoid anything rich, fatty or spicy.Finding what foods irritate your gut may also help your nausea.I find milk helps me when feeling sick. I don't find paracetemol effective either. Ask your doctor for a different painkiller suitable for your gastritis and oesophagitis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.