Extreme pain after total hip replacement

Posted , 33 users are following.

Hello everybody,

I am hoping that some one can help me. But before I start I am want to express my sympathy with all of you in pain and suffering. It must be devastating to live each day like that and I feel genuinely sorry for all of you. I hope you will find a solution soon.

Please try to help me. My moth has doen surgery for a total hip replaceent 1 year ago and is still in extreme pain.

I personally think she has two problems. First with her wound/scar and second with the hip itself.

The first because her scar/surroundings of the wound is still extremely painful and sensitive. Even looking at it already hurst and this makes it almost impossible even wear clothes. This problem I suspect must be related to nerves maybe encapsulated by the scar tissue or something. I am not sure.

The second problem must be her hip or the prothese or something related. She has extreme pains which start in the morning. While still lying in bed, she is almost without pain but then getting up and even walking to the bathroom is enough to invoke the pain again. Then during the day active or inactive the pain worsens till a point where she can´t do anything anymore. Sit, walk, stand it all hurts. Riding a bike is still best for her and walking small distances also but sitting is terrible. So why if in inactive stae in the morning is she ok and when she starts moving the pain incurrs? This must be because of the hip or prothese which must invoke the pain. Either the replacement is too big, wrongly placed, causing whatever. Right? I am not sure but still after 1 year no one, even a second opinion was able to shed some light on her state. No one is able to find a casue of the pain nor for the wound nor for the hip.

It is terribly frustrating that after 1 year no one seems to be able to help and give up on her. I kindly ask anyone with similar sympthoms to contact me, it might help a lot and we would be eternally grateful.

Thanks in advance. 

9 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your mothers pain.  I have been in this situation for four years now, had all the x-rays, MRI's and nothing shows what is wrong!  Referred to spinal consultants who pretty much said the same and then ended up in the Pain Clinic for nerve damage to be investigated - nothing major detected so far.  I was told by the pain clinic that nerve damage is hard to detect as it cannot be picked up on scans etc.  If you get any answers please post here for us all to see.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hello Sue, sorry to hear about your story. I can´t make any judgments about your case but I get the impression that people are easily diagnosed with "nerve pain". It is something generic, hard to detect or prove and therefore a "perfect" diagnose. Worse there is no solution for it but pain relief meaning going to the Pain Clinic and take as much medicine as necesary to fight the pain a little. To me that´s no solution and also unacceptable. If with a hip replacement nerves are damaged then that should be called malpractise and the doctor/surgeon clearly made a mistake and should be held accountable for it. At least you´d get some real compensation for it. Since this is not the case, it´s easy to label a difficult case with nerve pain. Why in some cases nerves are damaged and in most cases not? Sorry but I get real frustated and feel so lost. Of course I will continue to update this topic and I hope many more people will share here their experiences. I sincerely hope it can be helpful if only for one person that would make me very happy. I´ll continue to post on my mother´s progress. Goodluck to you!
  • Posted

Point taken Dawn. It is sad but true I am afraid. Now all we are trying to do here is damage control or hoping for a more pemanent, better solution. Sometimes people are walking around for years with unexplainable pain and no one can help them and then suddenly they come across the right doctor and they can be helped. Best Doctors for example is a collective of doctors around the world trying to help people with a second, third or more opinion. People who are stuck and left to painkillers only. My mother is trying to see if she can get their help also. So my advice is to continue to search for a solution. Alternative, traditional, whatever solution that may be.

Goodluck to you all.

• Posted

Dr. told me that I had soft tissue damage, that I had hematoba that is breaking up. He is sending me to a therapy for it, not really sure what that is yet.
    • Posted

That's terrible news to get at your stage. They must have known during surgery if tissue damaged surely? I know Its a long shot but have you heard of ancient herb knitbone or symphytum. Often used with arnica topically. Cant do any harm. Vets use on horses in a cream form. You must have a lot of underlying inflammation.  I believe that surgeries should be done under CCTV. An eminent surgeon has just said so on the BBC REITH lectures. We'd soon know then of all the incompetence and cover ups...
  • Posted

Sorry to hear Paula. If I understand correctly where they made the incision (wound) this area is now so painful and senitive because of soft tissue damage which is the same a a severe hematoma? Is this visible from the outside? My mother for example has a very weird scar. It is all dent to the inside of her leg. So it looks very strange also. As if sank into her leg. For the rest you can see anything, no bruses, no color or anything. I am wondering if you can see anything out of the ordinary.

I am curious about the suggested solution. Please keep us posted I sincerely hope it may help you. The "pop" problem? What did your docotor have to say about this problem?

• Posted

Haematoma means a blood bubble. Literally a bruise. If it is dispersing it should be alright.  However they sometimes have to open up after surgery to remove it. 

I think your mothers indent where the scar is us just like mine. Is she thin like me?   The underlying muscle has been cut and re sewn and is wasted through lack of exercise as mine. I can say that with pilates andspecific physio or osteo advice you can build up that muscle layer. I was told also to massage with oil after a hot bath.  getting the circulation to it it is crucial. I have a hollow there and it is very obvious as the Hip now sticks out to  accommodate a large prosthesis. Apparently there are not many choices of size.  Hope this helps

• Posted

I had  a 3rd Hip Replacement to my right hip in February this year. The 1st one in 2004 was a resurfacement an di ended up with amassive haematoma an dwas in terrible pain. The 2nd one was in 2009an dI had a THR to replace the Resurf as it was Not put in correctly, a few mm out can make all the difference with these type of surgeries. After my 2nd hip op i had a leg length discrepancy of 25mm and it caused me so much pain in my spine even though i had a shoe raise. Eventually in jan this year i had a 3rd hip replacement to shorten the leg an dnowit is only 7mm out which i can live with. I had different surgeons for each op. Unfortunatleythe damage was done by then and it caused deavstaing results to my spine. I have been diagnosed with degenerative scoliosis to my Lumbar spine for which I am having surgery in january.

I also have a huge dent where my scar is and it is still tender to touch and it is only recently that i have been able to lie on my right side. 

Did your mother have drains put in her hip during the op. My 1st one didn't and it was a nightmare, I had to have 3 blood transfusions and the massive haematoma and bruising The other two were fine as i had drains in and recovered much sooner. I had anothre hip op in between the 1st and 2nd one in 2006 to have repairs to my tensor fascia latea  and to remove osteopyhtes and a trochanteric bursa. It could be your mother 's has similar problems with the tensor fascia as the muscle splits and causes the big indentation. I amsorry to be so long winded but i could truly write a book on my experiences. My last surgeon though I owe everythiing  to him.

​I now have a ceramic/ceramic hip which does tend to squeek a little but causes me no pain.

I do have soft tissue damage and a little nerve but it is hardly surprising. 

• Posted

I too, have a huge dent in my leg after having

HRS 7 months ago. I am experiencing pain in my leg where the scar is and under by buttocks when I'm walking, standing. Somewhat relieved while lying down. My question is "Why do I have that large dent in my leg where the incision is. Not only does it look pretty ugly, but I'm having pain there, as well"! "Can anyone tell me why I have the dent in my leg, and why the pain"? Thanks for any advice. I too feel bad for all that is in pain and suffering". I have osteoporosis and it is affecting me from my toes to my shoulders. I live in constant, excruciating b pain. Please help if you have any answers. Thanks

• Posted

Hello Gentilleschi, thanks for the explanation.

True my mother is extremely thin, has been all her life. Vegetarian and almost allergic to anything with fat. She eats very healthy though. Lots of nuts, grains, cheese, yoghurt, in short although very thin she is or better was in good shape.

Soudns like indeed your scars are similar. Hers is also dented to the inside and she too had to do extra fysiotherapie since her muscles were in some areas reduced to nothing. Although after 6 more intensive weeks, she did strengthen her muscles again but no improvement with regard to the pain or sensitivity.

Hip prothesis, size, brand and all other tech data we hope to get soon to include in het medical file also. It is plain crazy that you as a patient have no idea or information about that. Equally crazy is to realize that there are not that many sizes either by the way. I think it is still a lead to check her properly to see if it´s not too big for example. 

In the Netherlands there is now a tendancy where patients can push their doctors more to include all this information in order to be better informed so we hope to get this information also which maybe can help us later on also solving her problems.

• Posted

I had/have huge problems with my first THR and its revision.  While I still have no definitive explanation of the pain and nerve damage caused, mention has been made of 'these problems occurring in small women'. 

I am 5 ft 0" and weigh 6.5 sts. 

I'm due for a 3rd attempt to sort this out in the spring, after I've finished my course of warfarin and, quite honestly, am scared sh**less. 

• Posted

Get the sizing before you do anything. Ask. Insist.  See it. Measure it against you. "Problem in small women" should be "problem getting oversized implant inside smaller women".  They should be made to order. Custom.  Not just the nearest fit. Oh hindsight hindsight... There are so many posts on here with oversized prostheses post surgical complications.  And once it's in it's in there. Revision must be worse than THR per se....what a bloomin'racket in that trade.... It smells...
    • Posted

Smells?  You're telling me. Probably on another thread I've detailed my history. After failed revision, I went for second opinion. He's just done other side THR - perfectly: and brought to my attention the fact that my revised device has come loose and is 'migrating' up through my pelvis. When I asked when this should've been apparent via xrays he said about 2012. I asked why he thought it was missed, he had no answer. 

Just conscious that, because of this, my 'bad' leg is 3cms shorter and every step I take is driving it further up. 

Oh, and viewing the X-ray, it was patently obvious that the first, failed device was at least 50% larger than the successful other side. And has 7 screws in it which have obviously failed. 

Deflated?  Moi?  Absolutely!

• Posted

OMG I just can´t believe it. Really. Indeed Gentilleschi is correct you need all information of your prothesis. Size, brand, model number. Also to compare with the correct prothesis from the other side. You mention that the "bad" one is 50% larger than the other one? How on earth is that much difference possible? That´s just plain wrong. Also the 7 screws is jawdropping. Compared to what on the good side? Unbelievable really. Malpractice in its purest form I´d say.

5 Ft 0 inches is that about 1 meter 52 cms? Would that be a correct conversion? Sorry here in Europe we measure differently. 6,5 sts. I couldn´t found sts stands for can you please tell me in kilograms or punds? 

I hope they can solve this asap since this is really unbelievable. I´d expect they will replace the prothesis with a smaller one or with one that is the correct size? Not sure but it seems that they have totally placed the wrong (too big) prothesis. Please keep us posted and the best of luck to you!

• Posted

Hi M

Sorry…41kg and 1.5metres, roughly. 

Yes, was told the revision on right hip required screws because the bone quality was poor. I learned, subsequent to that, that I have severe osteoporosis. 

The latest on the left was secured with cement. 

You're right, of course. I'm determined to get all the necessary information in advance. 

Not inclined to go down the malpractice route: seems to me that they all cover each others' backs and am so tired of the whole thing. Don't seem to have energy enough to muster anger - yet, anyway. 

All the very best to you and thanks. 

Elaine

UK

• Posted

I thought I would just put your mind at rest, I found my 2nd and 3rd revision so much easier. No bruising and i had a much quicker recover

and I think it was all down to the surgeons using drains .

• Posted

Thanks Elaine, sorry to hear about the osteoporosis. It is unfortunately a very common but serious problem and a good explanation for the screws. 

I get your point on the malpractice. You are right they all protect eachother, this is our biggest obstacle also when getting second opions. Not many doctors want to admit the other did something wrong or made a mistake. It´s worse than the maffia, they all got eachothers back. Allmost all.

Better to focus on recovery then wastign energy on that. Goodluck to you!

• Posted

Well, thanks so much for that encouragement, Beryl. 

So there is hope for me, after all!

E

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.