EXTREME [pain during cystoscopy

Posted , 12 users are following.

Is it just me, or is cystoscopy an extremely painful procedure for everyone.  I have had two of these over the last 25 years.  The first time had to be pain the equivalent of childbirth.  The second time -- just as bad, and both times administered under no kind of anesthesia.  I'd liken the pain to scraping the urethra with a razor probe.  For this reason I fear catheterization if I ever require it. 

Is anesthesia practical for this procedure?  Any experiences to share?   

Signed,

Super-sensitive Urethra Guy

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had a cystoscopy 10 mos ago under General anathesia. Burning pain during urination for about 3 days, blood in urine for about 5-6 days. But the pain was nowhere near the level of "childbirth". It seems that u were very sensitive to this procedure. There was a reader of this thread who had cystoscopy under local Anastasia. He claimed that his uro had the newest scope with a smaller diameter.

• Posted

DL -- If you were under anesthesia, then you experienced no pain during, yes?  I can take discomfort AFTER the procedure.  It's that wand up the pipeline that is unbearable when you are wide awake. For me anyway. 

• Posted

Not painful to me at all.  I self catheterize to empty my bladder.  I don't know if that helps me with the procedure.

• Posted

Owen,   I have had cystoscopy done three times.  The second time they put an anesthetic liquid in the urethra, that helped, but I still felt it go through the bladder sphincter, it wasn't bad though.   The Urologist was careful and showed me the inside of my bladder on a video screen which made it interesting.  The first and third times were rushed so were more painful, but not unreasonable.  Ask him before hand if he will look for things like enlarged median lobe, strictures, diverticule.  Your paying alot to have it done and should get some useful information out of it.  I have had Urologist's do it and never say anything about what they saw, what a waste of time and your money.  You should ask if he can make a video of it and give you a copy.  You may be going to other Urologists down the road and it would be useful to have the information.

Self catheterization is much less painful because you are in control.  When you feel pain you slow down or stop,  while the Urologist would keep on pushing, because he doesn't feel your pain, unless you tell him, but you don't want to be a wimp, and it's too late by that time anyway. The feedback loop has too much delay in it.  Self catheterization can be a little unpleasant the first few times until the urethra toughens up, then you will hardly feel it at all. Almost everyone has bleeding the first few times, so you have to keep everything ultra clean, because when you have bleeding you are liable for urinary infection. The least abrasive catheters are the red rubber type with water soluble lube, but they take longer to prep and clean up afterwards.

I hope this helps,

Thomas

• Posted

Thank you Thomas -- and the other replies.  I am learning here about things I am doing that may be super-sensitizing my urethra.  From un-treated prostatitis (now under treatment) to too many orgasms. (Daily until recently.  I am well north of 65.)  The combo of backing off on the orgasms (I sense by reading here that it's a "not too much not too little" goal that is ideal) AND  a regimen of Bactrim for likely prostatitis may be the key.  But I obviously have a super-sensitive urethra at this time. The cystoscopy wand -- or whatever you call it -- was administered by two young nurses. Humiliating at the time, especially for the pain and spread-eagle in stirrups as I was fully conscious. .  I felt like something of a sissy but the pain was unbearable.,  The uro finally came in and tried to look up the scope but I couldn't take the pain and I sensed that he cut short the procedure.  Now...the light went on that prostatitis has been an off and on problem for years and that I may be in the middle of a bout of the condition that's been hanging around for months.  But *I* had to get the idea.  Hence, the quest for the perfect uro doc continues ...perhaps the biggest challenge of all.  

• Posted

Hello Owen:

Did they use the flexible scope or the rigid scope? There are newer smaller flexible scopes on the market now to make this more tolerable for the patient.

Also, to lessen your anxiety and avoid possible humiliation of going through this you have the right to request only male nurses prep and be present during the test if you choose.

Think about it. Women don't have male rad techs giving them their annual mammogram or in the labor and delivery rooms by choice.

When gender specific, intimate related issues are at play, everyone has the right to choose who will do it & who will be present. Don't let them tell you no one is available. They can get someone. They just choose to to be lazy and some are just plain voyeurs. If they care about their patient, they will get you same gender care if that's what you really want.

Hope things get better for you soon.

Regards,

Raffie

• Posted

I am also very sensitive to the slightest pain and was screaming when they cathed me, both times, and when the locum took out a Foley, which resulted in a bloody disaster.  I lost an estimated liter of blood and my blood pressure Systolic dropped from 150's to 120's.

Someone posted that the new, flexible, type was very thin and allegedly "painless".  Did you get the flex, or the "straight" scope?

• Posted

Thanks Bob.  Flex or straight:  I have no idea.  Part of it was straight, part of it seemed to bend.  I simply cannot take the pain.  On the 1 to 10 scale, easily an 8.5 or higher. 
    • Posted

I had three flexible ones without any pain or after effects at all. They lust squirted a little gel into my urethra. 

I had a rigid one in 1983 and it looked like a walking cane that they were going to use! They put me out to do it. The only after problem was whatever they wiped the head of my penis with took the skin off it. 

• Posted

Hi Owen I had a similar experience most likely due to an unjustly misinformed angry urologist who after squeezing in some numbing ointment then with nasty intent rammed it in fast and hard I screamed louder than I can remember! and later down the track say maybe several months when I had a catheter I was still very sensitive. 
    • Posted

Brian,  

Where was the Urologist located ?  I had a similar experience in May this year..

​Thomas

• Posted

And forgot to mention:  the pain for me was so intense -- both times 25 years apart -- that I have vowed never to have this done again UNLESS I am asleep under anesthesia.  Is that practical in anyone's experience here? Do the urologists go for it?

• Posted

Owen,

Mine was in Florida, so a different person.

Thomas

• Posted

Just had it done with little pain but they used local anesthetic.  They called it numbing agent jell.  Not sure exactly what it was. 
    • Posted

Hi Aaron:

They use Lidocaine jelly in the urethra to numb the area for the test.

Regards,

Raffie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.