Extreme pain post op question

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone 

I had my gallbladder removed laparoscopically 2 weeks ago.  I developed a flesh colored hematoma near the top incision that the doctor wasn't concerned about.  I went back to work yesterday and now this evening I have absolutely terrible burning and aching pain in the top incision and hematoma area.  It is also painful to the touch.  I've tried ice and ibuprofen but for some reason this evening when I am not lying down I get pain that was worse than day 1 of surgery.  My doc also said that when I get moving again the area will be tender but this is beyond tender. Did anyone deal with this or hematomas post surgery?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'd go get checked out at the hospital if it was me just to make sure there's no infection or issue.  A second opinion doesn't hurt!  Lol 

• Posted

Thanks. I was in the er 2 days after surgery and all tests including a ct with contrast came back normal.  
  • Posted

I'd suggest getting it checked out by another MD. While this may not be the case for you, I developed an abscess, or pocket of infection, 2 months after surgery!  Abscesses can be life threatening. Go see another doctor and get that "hematoma" diagnosis confirmed.  Don't poke at it or squeeze it.  Best of luck to you. xx

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you.   I have one more follow up with the surgeon this week but the pain is moving past where the hematoma is.  I am starting to think I have some kind of nerve damage occurring. 

• Posted

Nerve damage can occur..  But, your post said that you thought you had a flesh-colored hematoma.  Well, my abscess began as a swelling between the tissues and above the muscles that were re-sected in my abdomen.  It was flesh colored, too.  My surgeon had released me from care.  

Believe me, you need to find out what this actually is, as an abscess can be life-threatening.  Your surgeon should be trying to find out what it is, instead of telling you what he thinks it is, especially if you have pain. An infection causes inflammation in your surrounding tissues, thus pain.  xx 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Did you pain get worse and then lessen and then get worse? Did you get any other symptoms? The hematoma is right at my bra line so I think that wearing a bra for the last 2 days made it worse. I am definitely going to get it checked out. 
    • Posted

I was on medication for pain, so I associated it with the surgery. Fortunately for me, it burst along the incision line, outside my body, not inside.  That was a terrifying moment.

My husband took me to the ER, where the doctor widened the hole, cleaned it out and packed it.  Got put on antibiotics. That was over 30 days ago, and we've had to clean it and pack it every day.  Almost healed.

Do stop wearing your bra, as much as possible. xx

• Posted

Any signs of infection e.g. severe pain, redness, warmth ( over incision site)or discharge ( purulent)... If pain continues or you develop a fever, see your PCP asap... You may want to get a second opinion...

Nurse Mark 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.