Extreme pain when trying to kneel a year after TKR

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had my left knee replaced a year and a half ago (Jan 2014) and my right knee a year ago.  I still can't put pressure on my knees to kneel.  The pain is so severe when I try.  Is this normal after surgery so long ago?  The pain seems to be from the incision scars.

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi i had 4 tkr tp left leg and 1 to right.i have always been told not to kneel.ugh even the thought of it
  • Posted

I've been told also never to kneel on new knee but check with your doc. Curious what he will say so post it !

• Posted

Lolla, I'm just a year out on right knee. Had my year check and kneeling was brought up. Dr said it won't hurt the knee to kneel but it's uncomfortable (painful) and it probably will stay that way. So best advice is to see what your dr says.

• Posted

Hi 

I had my right tkr Aug 2014 and probably need the left one done now too.

I was also told that it wouldn't hurt the new knee, but would be "uncomfortable" - Dr talk for bloody painful!!! I haven't even attempted to kneel down as I am a coward, but check with your Dr and if he says it's ok to do so, but it may be "uncomfortable" give it a miss lol x

• Posted

I've been told I won't be able to kneel on my new knee. Can't even contemplate doing that to be honest!! I'm 12 weeks post op and finding this hard going so will definitely not even be trying to do this. xx

• Posted

Not completely unusual. I haven't keeled in years because of The pain. In some cases Dr's forbid kneeling. Talk to you surgeon and get his opinion. Another of those little things they never warn you about ahead of time

• Posted

Hi Lolla and everyone else. I had tkr left knee nearly 6 months ago and was told I may never kneel again. I was told I could try and see what my knee could cope with on the bed first as it is softer. I have tried several times but find it very uncomfortable. A lady I was talking to at my 6 week check up was there for her year check up and she had been gardening the day before and had been kneeling on her knee for a wee while and did not realise. She said it had been a bit achey afterwards but she found it fine for the 10 mins or so she had been on it. I suppose it will be how our own knee reacts to the pressure being on it. s
  • Posted

Argggggg kneeling! Had a good day and gave it a try at church. Paid for it the rest of the day. But was on vacation at the beach and found myself  needing to get on knees to stand up. Maybe it was the sand but that worked fine and no pain afterwards. Check with your PT for help in doing it and Doc if allowed. I feel we're all different where some be able while others not so much. Good luck! 

• Posted

I had my TKR on my left knee the 27th of April 2015. I can kneel on my knee if I'm careful and do it slowly. If you can kneel, ALWAYS kneel on something soft!!! In the garden I use a kneeler, with side handles, so it helps me down and back up. I can't kneel on my bed though because it is too uncomfortable, go figure. Some of us can kneel or tolerate the discomfort (not real out and out pain). Others probably will never be able to kneel again. It all depends on the person.  

What really bothers me, is the fact that I can't curl up in a chair or on the sofa and read, nor can I sit on the floor like a 'frog'.  Ribbit, ribbit...

• Posted

Hi Lolla .. my surgeon told me prior to surgery that I'd never be able to kneel or squat properly again (wasn't a big deal as I hadn't being able to kneel anyway or squat).  So I was thankful for that tidbit he also told me full recovery was anywhere from 12-18mths but have to admit wasn't prepared for what I've gone thru!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.