Extreme Panic Attacks/Anxiety with Dialysis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone ever heard of an association between Sudden drop in Blood Pressure and extreme panic attack while on dialysis? 

My mother experiences extreme panic attacks before dialysis and sometimes during. She has been in the hospital for the past 5 months and has run the gamit of states of confusion and extreme panic attacks to such an extent she had to be moved to a psych ward. She is aware of when it is going to happen. They have thrown many meds at her, making it simply a mess. My Dad just noticed yesterday however, that while at dialysis, the tech took her BP which had a sudden drop at which time my mother started expressing that she felt the anxiety/panic attack coming on. So I have started to do some research on the possible relationship. (I do know that hypotension is a common side effect of dialysis). Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Without a doubt the sudden drop of b/p is a ver common side effect due to dialysis . My dad who is on dyalasis tends to go though episodes where suddenly his b/p drops . Understand that because they're draining the blood plus fluids this is what can happen . I would suggest talking to the crew there and asking if they can lower the machine , in other words for them not to take to much fluid out . And regarding the panic attacks , I myself suffer from panic attacks . As we know panic attacks can be activated by overwhelming circumstances. The body reacting this way is the distress that your mom goes through with anxiety attacking the nervous system . This is expected with people who go through panic attacks. There's meds the have these episodes under control , however I don't know the severity of your moms condition. Plus therapy is another type of alternative to aid your mom . Better said than done she's the one that's going through this , and it's very hard to assimilate. She needs a lot of positive strong verbal support to help her understand that these episodes is like an illness that attacks you , and try to analyze the situation of what she's currently going through . It's all mental control . Try your hardest to distract your mind . Again this is a therapy that takes time to manage and manipulate .

• Posted

Thank you for taking to reply and for your info!
  • Posted

Hi Im 44 years old and im on dialysis.I too get panic attacts while on the machine. My bp drops , I get real clammy cold sweats and just feel strange.but it doesnt happen too offten....thank god
    • Posted

Thank you for sharing this! Very much appreciated !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.