Extreme sciatic pain 2+ weeks after surgery!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Before surgery on June 3, 2015 I was basically bed ridden. I had extreme right leg sciatic paiin. Now I still have it, but it runs down my right butt cheek, through the side and hamstring of my leg. And the very familiar pain still runs down through my lower side of leg, ankle and over the top of my foot. It is getting worse daily. I had a new MRI this week ( I have attached the before surgery and the very new MRI here. My Surgeon says that is has not ruptured again, and that all the pain is due to swelling. He is going to schedule me for a R L5 root block. I'm no doctor or radiologist but the picture looks like the disc is not where it should be. This has ruined my life. Any opinions would be great! I'm only 33 by the way with 3 young chilldren and I'm not able to take care of myself, muchless do anything with them:'(

3 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My Honest opinion it looks no different! The herniation is still there! Why have the not done a fusion? I have suffered this from the age of 23 from Nursing, having two babies and seen an osteopath to help with my S1 joints L4L5 herniated and compressed. I never opted for a fusion because I had two young children to at 33... I don't believe it is that successful to be honest.. A block will help with the pain... Yoga stretches may help later as a regular thing.. I suffer with nerve pain an weakness in my left leg after 30 yrs which has become chronic.. Keyhole surgery is improving this maybe an option in the future...
    • Posted

Thank you!!! I totally agree. I just don't understand how the surgeon can't see this!!! I have also lost insurance since surgery 2 months ago and I can't help to wonder if that could have something to do with it. I just don't get it. But, Thank you so much. I was starting to think that I was going crazy!
  • Posted

Don't be afraid to get another opinioh, esp. if the block doesn't help the way it should.  I too suffered sciatica in my right leg about 20 years ago and still remember the debilitating pain while caring for two children.  Surgery (laminectomy) took care of it, but I saw three doctors before finally getting the surgery.  You're too youhg to be in pain--follow up and follow through.  There has to be an answer.  Good luck.  One day at a time ...
  • Posted

Hi Ava --swelling can cause alot of pain.  By now maybe you have had the injection & hopefully feeling better.  I wonder if you are the Ava I know that lives in Ireland.  If so I am sorry things have not  moved forward as far as your pain is concerned.  The same for me I go from one thing right into another.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.