Extreme sedation on Mirtazapine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was prescribed mirtazapine 15 mg to try to help with insomnia and anxiety. I've only taken it for 10 days and although it has started to help me with my sleep I have been really struggling with extreme sedation the following day which lasts all day. I am dizzy, vertigo like symptoms, unable to concentrate, memory loss and not able to do much at all. My GP suggested lowering the dose to just 7.5 mg which i tried for 2 nights but there was no sign of improvement. Last night i took just a quarter and didnt sleep at all but i still have the horrible side affects today. I was hoping that I would be able to stick it out a while longer to see if these side affects would subside but I feel so awful I think I'm just going to stop. Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone else had the sedation/dizziness go away?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello, this should pass eventually. but lowering the dose would be counterproductive as the lower the dose, the more sedating Mirtazapine is.

• Posted

I think the strong sedation is due to a strong antihistamine effect of the drug. In my experience, like most antihistamines, the strong sedation wears off after a week or so of usage. After that point it still has a sedative effect which is useful for helping you get to sleep, but it's a lot more gentle and gradual with much less of a hangover the next day.

• Posted

I also found 15 mg made me very drowsy the next day though I did not have the other symptoms you mention. I went down to 7.5 my and in no time I was fine. But it did not help my depression although I slept well. Now my problem after a year is getting off.

• Posted

I feel the same, slow, tired, unable to concentrate. I've just halved my dose from 30mg to 15 , took a while toget used to. I have vertigo badly on these meds, sometimes I feel strange like im not walking straight and it was worse when I went camping and me and my fried were fell walking, I had to come back down. Rhea

• Posted

I wish I DID have your problem, I NEED to sleep all night but I CANNOT.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.